Monday, April 17, 2006

Whole Lotta Enchiladas!

If you would have showed up at our house the other night, you would have thought we were enchilada crazy. I've been wanting to make chicken enchiladas for a while, but as is often the case with me, for one reason or another I just never got around to it. Well, enough was finally enough. I was tired of just craving them, I was ready to actually make and eat them. So I found a recipe on allrecipes.com, which seems to be my goto site when I'm craving something & don't have a recipe handy. While I was there I thought I'd look around for a recipe for something sorta easy & mexican-ish I could make for dessert. And what did I find?? Yup, you guessed it - a recipe for dessert enchiladas, Apple Enchiladas to be exact.

Chicken EnchiladasI took a short cut with the chicken for the Chicken Enchiladas. Harris Teeter has whole roasted chickens for $3.99 each every Sunday, so I figured that would be a good deal, save me lots of time considering I would have no chicken to clean, cook and then cool before actually starting my enchiladas. Overall, I thought they were really tasty & will probably use this recipe again. As I was making the filling, I found that it definitely didn't need the water that the recipe calls for. I used Velvetta, as I didn't have enough cheddar & it tasted fine, but that could possibly explain why I needed to omit the water. If you wanted to add some black or pinto beans to the filling, or maybe even some rice, that would probably be good. We had some leftover spanish rice from the night before, so I heated that up & served it on the side. Pretty tasty!

Apple EnchiladasThe Apple Enchiladas were super easy & made a nice ending our mexican feast. It wasn't a to die for recipe, but it will possibly make a repeat appearance, sometime when we decide to do another mexican night.


Chicken Enchiladas

4 cooked chicken breasts or 1 whole roasted chicken
1 onion, chopped
1/2 pint sour cream
8 oz Velvetta, cubed
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
8 (10 inch) flour tortillas
1 (12 ounce) jar taco sauce
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Cube chicken & place in a medium skillet. Add the onion, sour cream, Velvetta, oregano and ground black pepper. Heat until cheese melts. Stir in salt, tomato sauce, chili powder, and green pepper.

Roll even amounts of the mixture in the tortillas. Arrange in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover with taco sauce and 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.


Apple Enchiladas

1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Spoon fruit evenly onto all tortillas, sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll up tortillas and place seam side down on lightly greased 8x8 baking pan.

Bring margarine, sugars and water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.

Pour sauce evenly over tortillas; sprinkle with extra cinnamon on top if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.

Makes 6 large tortillas; may be cut in half to serve 12.

*As side note, I apologize to everyone for having to endure the horrible, awful photos that accompany this post. As I may have mentioned before, my camera is trying to punish me by dying it seems. If anyone is knowledgable about low to moderately priced digital cameras, shoot me an email. I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone may have as I shop for a new one!

Labels: , , , , , ,

Comments on "Whole Lotta Enchiladas!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:47 PM) : 

The apple enchiladas sound soooo good.

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (8:14 PM) : 

mmmm i think the chicken enchiladas sound sooo good. mm. it has been forever since i have had any. ;)

Oh -- I got your package today! thank you so much!! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:04 PM) : 

apple enchiladas? well done, Jaay. You got me curious AND salivating :) the chicken enchiladas look really good. i could really go for some now. viva la casserole!

 

Blogger Table4Five said ... (2:33 PM) : 

I saw your comment on my post about Aldi, thanks for stopping by! I agree about their prices on baking supplies. Plus my husband works for the company that makes Baker's Secret products, so I like to support that.

Also, that recipe for cream cheese puffs? I once made something similar with a large marshmallow instead of cream cheese. Delicious!

 

Blogger Mona said ... (3:27 PM) : 

WOw, that looks awesome. And where have I been, your site looks awesome too! Way to go sister:) Did I mention I love Harris Teeter? I miss that store soooo much. We use to go there all day every day when I was in school in VA. Gotta love those candy bins.
And seriously, I'm right there with you with the camera fiasco. I might even get a phone that takes great pix b/c most of the pix I want to take are out at restaurants and it's so much more subtle taking with phone than with a huge digi cam. I'll tune in to see what people recommend.

 

Blogger Mindy T. said ... (9:56 PM) : 

Those apple enchiladas sound fun and fabulous. I'm going to remember them next time I have a south-of-the-border feast thing going on. Thanks for a great blog...

http://mindycooks.blogspot.com

 

Blogger G said ... (4:12 PM) : 

Making those apple ones! great easy fix!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:21 AM) : 

Mmm... love enchiladas! I made them with a cocoa sauce a couple months ago, which I suppose encompasses both the sweet and savory!

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites