Wednesday, March 15, 2006

My, my, my Key Lime Pie

Ok, well it's not really a pie - it's a cheesecake. Even better right?? Well, in my book it certainly is =) A while back Jen over at Fallen Souffle shared a recipe for her low fat key lime cheesecake. And before you say it - No I didn't stutter, it really is low fat. But it's definitely not low on taste.

Low Fat Key Lime CheesecakeI'd been wanting to make a cheesecake for a while, but I seemed to either not have the time, or I just wasn't sure exactly what kind I wanted to make. Well, when I remembered Jen's recipe it was all over, I knew this was the cheesecake I was going to make. It's so rich and creamy. My only afterthought, is that the Key Lime flavor isn't very pronounced, but I think next time I'll try a different brand of yogurt and see if that's got something to do with it.

Low-Fat Key Lime Cheesecake

1 (9 inch) reduced fat graham cracker pie crust
2 (8 ounce) packages reduced fat cream cheese
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 (8 ounce) container nonfat lime yogurt (or any flavor of your choice)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in flour. Beat in lemon juice and egg substitute. Stir in yogurt. Pour into crust.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until filling is set. Allow to cool. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.

**I took Jen's advice and left the cheesecake in the oven for another hour with the door cracked and the oven turned OFF. That gave it a chance to firm up and it kept it from cracking.

Comments on "My, my, my Key Lime Pie"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:01 AM) : 

Thanks! Sounds good. I wonder why it's lime juice and not key lime juice. Maybe try that.

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (1:04 PM) : 

Yeah Tammi, you're right. I really didn't think about that. Key lime juice is a good suggestion. And actually I didn't have any limes, so I just used lemon juice, that probably had something to do with it..lol

Either way it was tasty & that proved to me that I can definitely use other flavors of non-fat yogurt and it will still be delicious! =)

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (3:28 PM) : 

lol oh haha funny man! No no no you have it all wrong..well sorta lol

The recipe called for either lemon or lime juice, which I think was less to add lime/lemon flavor and more to cut some of the richness, as alot of cheesecake recipes call for a bit of lemon juice. And I used key lime pie flavored yogurt.

So see!! It is a key lime cheesecake! lol

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:04 AM) : 

Glad you liked the recipe! You could certainly go nuts with all of the "extra" flavorings and really adjust it to your likings...I will have to try using real key limes!

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites