Monday, February 06, 2006

Muppet or Monster??

Which is Cookie Monster I ask you?? I mean afterall his name is Cookie MONSTER, no? But Cookie Monster and his buddies are Muppets are they not?? Can one actually be both a Muppet and a monster?? Ehh, I suppose it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that I made cookies!!! Deliciously chewy peanut butter cookies, and I came up with the recipe myself!! Yup, it's a Culinarily Obsessed Original. Excuse me while I pat myself on the back, lol

Peanut Butter Cookies


As it's very clear by now, based some of my grumbling episodes in the past I can be very very picky. Peanut butter cookies are far above and beyond my normal picky to be quite honest. I LOVE peanut butter and I LOVE peanut butter cookies. But I want two things in my peanut butter cookies - chewiness and peanut butter chips. The second is negotiable, the first is an absolute must. I've tried recipes in the past that were just all wrong to me, but everyone else enjoyed, cookies that were crunchy and had just this hugely overwhelming peanut butter flavor. I know, that sounds crazy right?? You're thinking "Hellooooo, they're PEANUT BUTTER cookies!". And my cookies taste like peanut butter..they have peanut butter chips in them for Pete sake! It's just different. lol

I borrowed from the methods I used on the last couple batches of chocolate chip cookie I've made. I used melted butter, and like the Alton Brown cookies last week, I refrigerated the dough right up until they went into the oven. I wanted to do my best to make sure the cookies were chewy so I used MORE brown than granulated sugar, whereas a lot of recipes call for equal amounts. Also I used bread flour, for added tenderness, but all-purpose would work just fine. The dough is a bit thinner than chocolate chip cookie dough, so be careful what type of peanut butter you use. I tried Smucker's Natural, which is very runny, once and the cookies spread. As you can see in the photo, those famous peanut butter cookie crisscrosses don't show up too well, so next time I will omit that step.

Obsessedly Soft And Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
Yields: approx 3 1/2 dozen

2 cups bread or all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
13 Tbsp butter, melted & cooled
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3 large eggs
1 cup peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup peanut butter chips

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Mix dry ingredients together & set aside.

Melt butter and allow to cool. On medium speed, blend sugars; add cooled butter and mix until grainy consistency. Add eggs, mix on low until just incorporated. Add peanut butter and vanilla extract; beat on medium until fluffy. On low speed, slowly add flour mixture until barely mixed into butter mixture.

Drop by rounded tablespoonful, onto ungreased cookie sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart. Refrigerate 20-30 minutes.

Bake until the edges are lightly browned, approximately 18-20 minutes. Remove and cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack.

Comments on "Muppet or Monster??"

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (12:48 AM) : 

yum yum yum! they look delicious! I will have to try these out. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:08 PM) : 

My husband would be in heaven. Your cookies look delicious!

Connie

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:16 PM) : 

muppet or monster? matters not, my dear Jaay. He just liked cookies. and that's why we loved him (and those wacky eyeballs!) i have a Costco sized jar of PB in the pantry. I may give these a whirl...

btw, look out for some goodies in the mail tomorrow :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:41 PM) : 

I'll have to give these a whirl.My middle daughter loves anything peanut butter.
Emily aka biscuits and blues

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:04 PM) : 

Let's hear it for the cookies! Great post, Jaay!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:53 PM) : 

Yum! Can't go wrong with peanut butter!

 

Blogger Cookie Madness said ... (8:29 AM) : 

Yum! I'm going to have to try those.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites