Friday, January 27, 2006

Challah, makes me wanna holla!!

Yup, sure does. Challah makes me wanna holla! Why you ask? Because it's sooo good. And because I baked another loaf of bread. I'm not one to toot my own horn and I don't wanna jinx myself, but so far so good with the learning to bake bread. Next I've got my eye on a couple swirl breads, with some kinda spice or flavoring swirled in, kinda like a cinnamon swirl loaf bread.

challah 1-25-06 009

Challah is a Jewish egg bread that is often eaten on the Sabbath and all Jewish holidays. This was all unknown to me until I googled challah to see what kind of tantalizing description I might find, and there you have it - Jewish egg bread. lol But seriously, it makes me think of a brioche or something. It's yummy. The only thing I did wrong was simply due to lack of bread baking experience. I should have rolled my dough into longer thinner sections for the creating the braid. During that second rise the braid got HUGE!!

Challah Bread

1 package active dry yeast
3/4c. warm water
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 1/4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted & cooled
1 tsp salt
1 egg (plus additional for eggwash)
2 1/2-3c. all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine 1/4c. warm water and sugar in mixer bowl, sprinkle yeast on top. Let mixture bloom for 10 minutes. Add remaining 1/2c. warm water, salt, melted butter, egg, and 1 1/2c. flour. Beat with paddle attachment in stand mixer for 5 minutes, until well combined.

Change to dough hook, and slowly add 1c. more of flour. Knead until incorporated, if dough seems thin & too wet gradually add additional 1/2c flour. Dough will still be a bit sticky, knead until no longer sticky and pulling away from sides of the bowl, about 5 minutes.

Let dough rest in a greased bowl for 1 hour. Dough will almost double in size. After rising, punch down and place on lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 3 equal sections. Roll each section into a rope, about 12 inches long. Braid ropes together and let sit on baking sheet for about 45 minutes.

Brush with eggwash and bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown.

Comments on "Challah, makes me wanna holla!!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:21 AM) : 

OMG, you made challah!?! Mad skills, Jaay. Mad skills. I love me a slice of challah with jam. It looks beautiful :)
New T-shirt idea:
"Challah-Back Girl"

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (12:14 PM) : 

Connie - I totally agree, we were literally ripping chunks off the loaf as soon as it was cool enough to touch. SO YUMMY!!

Eric - lol deal! I'll be your bread baking guide.

Vanessa - lolol I love the t-shirt idea!!! I would totally rock the "Challah-Back Girl" t-shirt. Maybe we should market this?? And yes challah with jam..YUMMY! I've recently discovered challah slathered with Nutella is one of the more perfect late night snacks =)

 

Blogger Heather said ... (4:05 PM) : 

as always, looks great

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:44 PM) : 

Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum. Make yourself dome french toast! I second the Challah Back Gorl t-shirt idea!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:21 PM) : 

Great post, Jaay!

And the challah looks so good ... warm out of the oven ... with some butter ... oh I get the shivers!

My favourite part of this post is the title!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:56 PM) : 

Congrats on the continued successful bread baking--and challah even, you goyim girl, you!

 

Blogger Kim said ... (9:18 AM) : 

That's gorgeous. I sometimes have a hard time finding this at my grocery store, so I appreciate the recipe!

I have a recipe using Challah bread to make a Creme Brulee french toast. Let me know if you're interested!

 

Blogger --- said ... (6:34 AM) : 

This is brilliant! - I have to get baking ASAAAAP!!

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites