Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Rolling Scones Biggest Hit

Sugary Cinnamon Scones

Yeah, cheesy title I know..but ya luv me for it. Admit it! Well I've been wanting to make scones for a while, but hadn't quite found the recipe I wanted. All the recipes were full of eggs and HEAVY cream, which screams FAT!! Or they required fruit that I didn't have, and honestly didn't want in my scones, not at the moment anyway. I wanted a butter, slightly sweet scone with a nice flavor, that's still moderately healthy. Well me being me, when I don't find what I want, I make it up.

I took the recipe for Cranberry Scones from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook and reworked it to get my perfect biscuits..errr I mean scones. I mean come on, let's be honest with ourselves here. Isn't a scone really just the British version of a biscuit?? YES!!!

But without further ado, Sugary Cinnamon Scones.

Sugary Cinnamon Scones

Scones Dough:
2c. all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
1/2c. sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, chilled
2/3c. fat-free half-and-half, plus 1 Tbsp reserved

Cinnamon Filling:
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Sugar Glaze:
3 Tbsp Confectioner's Sugar
fat-free half-and-half, as needed

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl combine all ingredients for cinnamon filling. Mix until evenly blended. Set aside.

2. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, 1/2 c sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 2/3c half-and-half until just moistened.

3. On a lightly floured surface, gently knead dough, 5-10 times. Pat into a 1/2 inch thick round or square. Evenly sprinkle half of dough with cinnamon filling mixture. Fold plain side over so that cinnamon filling is sandwiched in the middle. Cut into 8 evenly sized wedges; place on a baking sheet, approximately 5 inches apart. Brush tops with the reminaing 1 Tbsp half-and-half; sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes. Let cool on wire rack.

4. Mix Confectioner's sugar with enough half-and-half to make a glaze thin enough to drizzle. When scones are cooled drizzle with glaze.



I've chosen to use this recipe for this month's Weekend Cookbook Challenge. This month's challenge is to figure out what your winter comfort food is and why. Since I'm totally and completely food obsessed I have lots of foods that I find comforting. I don't eat alot of scones, and this is actually the first batch I've ever made. But they are chocked full of cinnamon goodness and cinnamon is definitely a comfort flavor for me. It has such a soothing homey taste and feel. Plus these scones taste EXACTLY like Bojangles cinnamon biscuits, and that in itself makes them a comfort food. Y'all know I live & was raised in the south, and Bojangles is only the king of Fried Chicken..forget that old colonel guy. Yup Bojangles is where you go when you're all out of sweet tea and too lazy to make any, or you're craving fried chicken and Nana's not fryin any. It's that good.

Comments on "The Rolling Scones Biggest Hit"

 

Blogger maricar lianne said ... (2:09 AM) : 

Thanks for this Jaay. My mom loves the cinnamon scones at Albertson's and I know they are so very bad for her. I'll have to try this out.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:44 PM) : 

Ooooh, I've been looking for a cinnamony-sugarish scone recipe - these sound like something to try! Great post!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:31 PM) : 

Delicious!

And they have my very favourite spice of all: cinnamon!

 

Blogger Mona said ... (1:34 PM) : 

I can't say it enough ..I love scones...so much!! I will have to try this recipe.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (8:23 PM) : 

I found your recipe through Maricar, and I just whipped up a batch. Oh my lord are they delicious!

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (2:56 PM) : 

Thank you for partcipating! The round up can be found here:
http://somethingsoclever.typepad.com/weekend_cookbook_challeng/2006/02/wcc2_roundup_.html

:o) ~Alicat

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:54 PM) : 

Hi Jaay--Your bisc...er...SCONES sound like a wonderful snack...er...breakfast!

 

Blogger Christiane said ... (10:32 AM) : 

They look great . . . I used the same recipe, with some minor alterations and was well pleased. Surprise, as I usually hate Martha's recipes for baked goods (sometimes I wonder if they actually test them).

I added finely chopped candied ginger. Yum.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02 AM) : 

Hahaha.. cute title :)
I love cinnamon.. hmmmm...

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites