Thursday, January 26, 2006

Feed a fever, starve a cold??

Tag, I'm it!! Thanx to the cookie crazed Anna who tagged me for this meme that couldn't come at a more perfect time of the year for those of us in the northern hemisphere. I have NO idea where this meme started, but my guess is it was started by someone either nursing a sick child or suffering from a cold themselves.

The meme says to relay your best cold remedy. I have to be honest, when posed with this question, I realized I don't really have a cold remedy. None were ever passed down thru my family and I never developed one myself. Thankfully I guess my family has always for the most part been blessed with one heck of a strong immune system, which keeps us from getting any kinda cold, flu or virus very often. KNOCK ON WOOD!!

It seems that without fail whenever I'm down with a cold I always always crave apple juice and Campbell's chicken noodle soup. I can remember being home sick from school as a little girl and my daddy waking me from naps feeding me mugs of warm chicken noodle soup and glasses of ice cold apple juice. Something about that has always been so soothing. So the soup and juice along with lots of sitting around resting is pretty much my remedy. If the sickies get me bad enough I'll drag myself to the doctor and beg for some antibiotics or I'll take some nyquil and try to sleep it off.

I'm tagging: Chan, Alice, and Strawberry

Comments on "Feed a fever, starve a cold??"

 

Blogger little pomelo said ... (9:53 PM) : 

Thank you for the tag!
It's coming soon...!
I'm sort of in the early stage of cold myself.

By the way, I must agree with you that a long (and I mean a relaly long) rest is the best remedy for a cold =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:17 PM) : 

Gee...somehow I missed your tag until just now...not sure what happened! :) I'll get to it soon! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 PM) : 

You idiots, its "Feed a cold Starve a fever" that goes back hundreds for years to ancient medicine and really isn't a good idea, it's crap.

The idea is that if you're hot, you need to put less fuel into your body so you'll cool off: starve a fever, and if you're chilled or weak, you need to eat to stoke up your internal fires: feed a cold.

Anyway, as I said it's crap. When you're sick, your appetite often decreases because food doesn't taste as good and you're tired. Fighting off a cold or flu demands energy. You're best off eating light, healthful food --whole grains, protein, veggies--soup and, of course, drinking lots of water. A healthy diet everyday--rich in vitamin C and antioxidants--has been shown to help boost immunity, too.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:00 PM) : 

And no it wasn't "but my guess is it was started by someone either nursing a sick child or suffering from a cold themselves." Bad guess.
The idea, if not the exact wording, dates back to 1574, when a dictionary maker named Withals wrote, "Fasting is a great remedie of feuer." Mispelling and everything. Nobody's sure where the notion of feeding colds and so on arose.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites