Saturday, December 31, 2005

By Request - a New Year's Day preview

So I had a request from a friend & dedicated reader asking for a preview of my New Year's Day menu that I mentioned in my post earlier today. Being the sweetie that I am (just kidding!!) I thought I would honor that request. Also, I'm curious about everyone else's traditions. What do you typically do to bring in the new year? Do you have a traditional New Year's Eve or New Year's Day meal that your family feasts upon?

For as long as I can remember, and I'm sure loooong before that, my family has prepared the exact same New Year's Day meal year after year. New Year's lunch consists of: ham, collard greens, black eyed peas and corn bread. I'm sure we'll follow that up with a piece of pineapple cake, a Christmas tradition. Somehow we always manage to stash just enough of the cake in the freezer to go along with our New Year's feast. The cake is FANTASTIC!! It's a 2 layer yellow cake with crushed pineapple in between the layers and frosted with cream cheese frosting. Oooohmygoodness! The juice from the pineapple makes the cake extra moist. Yummy!! As for the rest of the meal, it's all very traditional southern food. And the meal itself is based quite a bit on superstition. You see, eating collard greens on New Year's Day brings you money in the new year. And eating black eyed peas brings you luck. Or so they say, you can believe I eat a whole heap of both in hopes of having lots of good luck and money! But the truth is all I will probably get is a few extra pounds added to my waisteline. lol

So what are your family's traditions? Anything special you eat or do to bring in the New Year? Let me know!

Have a safe & happy New Year's weekend. I hope everyone has a blessed 2006!!

Comments on "By Request - a New Year's Day preview"

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (8:49 PM) : 

lol awww thank you eric!! I luv that you're always such a loyal & enthusiastic reader of my blog. And to think, you liked me even before u knew I was a foodie!! lol I hope you & the family have a wonderful New Year's celebration & a healthy, happy 2006!

btw..I umm technically already sell my baked goods..just not nearly the quantities that I would like lol

 

Blogger Cindy said ... (7:36 AM) : 

In France, we eat foie gras, smoked salmon on toasts, roast meet, vegs and whatever else we feel like eating.
Happy New Year

 

Blogger Kalyn Denny said ... (8:18 AM) : 

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you have a great New Year. (I'm making Hopping John soup today, a variation of the black eyed peas and collard greens that is usually eaten in the south.)

 

Blogger The Cookbook Junkie said ... (12:02 PM) : 

It's always pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day here (in PA).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:05 PM) : 

We had pork, sauerkraut and black-eyed peas, as that's what my husbands says is traditional...I actually asked him how it ever became a tradition, or even what ethnicity it was traditional to, and he didn't know...I'd be curious to know where it came from, because it does seem like a common choice.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites