Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Christmas Cookie Craze Continues

gingersnaps stacked I find myself craving these cookies..I mean really craving them. I've always been a gingerbread lover. But these cookies are over the top good to me. Just the perfect amount of spices and the texture is amazing, soft and chewy. They almost seem to melt in your mouth. One thing that intrigues me about this recipe is that it contains NO butter. None. Zero. Zilch. Not a single ounce. I've never tried sub'ing butter for the oil, I figured why risk ruining a wonderful thing? Curiousity hasn't gotten the best of me with this recipe, and I'm determined that it never will. The dough is formed into balls and half is dipped in sugar so they come out having these yummy little sugary sweet crunchies on top. Unfortunately when using just plain white granulated sugar those crunchies don't show up in the finished product, so this year I purchased what Wilton calls Sparkling Sugars, which is basically just sanding sugar.

I'm not sure where this recipe actually originated. It was given to me by my boss at the time, titled "Angela's Gingersnaps", Angela being his wife's name. So possibly she developed or perfected the recipe. If so she came up with one hell of a cookie and my praises go out to her.

sugary gingersnaps

Angela's Gingersnaps

1 1/3 c. oil(I used canola)
2 eggs
2 c. sugar
1/2 c molasses

4 c. all-purpose flour \
3 tsp. baking soda \
2 tsp. cinnamon \ sift together
2 tsp. ginger /
1 tsp. salt /

Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt, set aside. Mix together oil, eggs, sugar and molasses just until combined. Add flour mixure and stir until all ingredients are incorporated. Roll dough into small balls, about 1 tsp each. Dip 1/2 of each ball into sugar and place sugar side up on cookie sheet. Space several eachs apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

Makes about 4 dozen.

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "The Christmas Cookie Craze Continues"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:43 PM) : 

First boiled, now 100% oil? I am in awe of your cookie prowess! I love ginger. Though I may need to take a break from the cookie baking—DISASTER so far. YIkes.

 

Blogger Mona said ... (3:20 PM) : 

Wait, are they really soft and chewy or did you make that up? I have never found a soft/chewy gingerbread recipe. And I was obsessed with these cookies in Colorado. I used to live out there and bought them all the time from my favorite bakery (name escaping me at the moment). I think it was Paradise Bakery...

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (8:16 PM) : 

Mona - did you mean ginger*bread* or just ginger cookies?

I have a great recipe for them too! :)

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (8:56 PM) : 

lol no mona I PROMISE I did not make up the soft & chewy part..they really really are.

You should try them!!

 

Blogger little pomelo said ... (1:06 PM) : 

Lovely pinky blog! I dig it!

Can you substitute the molasses with anything else, say butter or honey?

 

Blogger M3 said ... (1:29 AM) : 

Very cool, I just sent this post to my mom. She always makes one christmas cookie for each person in the family, and this year (out of the blue) I wanted "chewy ginger cookie!" She was kind of stymied. hemmed and hawed. Said there was no such thing. I had already reconciled to getting something else, but now I have hope!!! Thanks!

 

Blogger M3 said ... (7:55 PM) : 

Almost forgot to come back and let you know that we made them for Christmas and they ROCKED! Chewy, yummy, delish. We got bug red, white, and green sugar crystals to dip them in which worked great for Christmas.

It'll be on the request list again next year I'm sure. Thanks for the recipe!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:01 PM) : 

Part of what keeps these cookies soft and chewy is all in the storage. Someone once taught me to put a piece of bread in the Tupperware or whatever container you use. The bread will eventually become rock hard, meanwhile, your cookies will remain just as soft and chewy as when they were first baked.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites