Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Tater Talk

Nothin says Thanksgiving like turkey right?? Well all this thinkin about turkey & planning for the BIG meal, has had me thinkin ALOT about sweet potatoes. I absolutely love & crave sweet potatoes. It's just something about them when they're soft & warm. So sweet...YUMMY!! They're a total comfort food for me..bringing back some of my fondest memories of childhood.

And for some reason I remember this 1 sweet potato casserole that was served at our family's Thanksgiving feast not too many years ago. It was fantastic!! I still kick myself in the butt for not getting that recipe..grrr!! So as usual, I tured to the FoodNetwork website in hopes of finding a recipe to satisfy my craving of that wonderfully delish sweet potato casserole. I found a recipe that I felt would be pretty darn close, but I did make a few changes to suit my tastes.

My craving was satisfied pretty well, although, next time I will add more sugar, some extra spices & I'll change the topping mixture up a bit. Overall, I would say it's a good recipe, but for a southern girl who knows what a true sweet potato casserole should taste like, it wasn't sweet enough..Y'all know we like it SWEET lol.




You can check out the original version of the recipe on the FoodNetwork website HERE. My version is as follows:

Sweet Potato Casserole

2 1/2 lb sweet potatoes (about 3 large), scrubbed
2 large eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing the pan
4 Tbsp dark brown sugar, packed
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice

topping:
1/4 c coarsely chopped pecans
2 Tbsp packed dark brown sugar, packed
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put sweet potatoes on baking sheet & pierce each several times with a fork. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until tender. Set aside to cool.

Turn the oven down to 350 degrees. Scoop the sweet potato ou tof their skins & into a medium bowl. Discard skins. Mash potatoes until smooth. Add eggs, butter, brown sugar and spices. Whisk mixture until smooth.

Butter casserole dish. Pour sweet potatoe mixture into pan. Combine topping ingredients & sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until a bit puffy. Serve immediately.

Comments on "Tater Talk"

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (3:15 PM) : 

mmm that sounds really good jaay! :) i love the addition of the pecans..i bet it tasted great!

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites