Thursday, October 27, 2005

Gettin in the mood...

Uhhh no!! This is NOT that kinda blog..and I'm not gettin in that kinda mood..if I was I certainly wouldn't blog about it..lol

I'm getting in the festive Halloween mood!!! Which is really odd for me because I've never been big on Halloween, even as a kid. I guess as a small child I got pretty excited about the whole experience..the idea of dressing up excited me but when it came down to it, I never had some really cool, totally homemade elaborate costume...we never went all out practically turning our front yard into a haunted house. Many kids don't right?? Well true, but I think that's what it would have taken for me to get all gung-ho about Halloween. Well this year is quite the opposite..or so you'd think if you've been around my kitchen lately. Let's run down the list of Halloween goodies I've slaved over..err I mean baked within the last week...

  1. Halloween cookies decorated with royal icing
  2. Halloween mini-cupcakes
  3. Pumpkin cakes

I started of the baking frenzy with the chocolate cookies. I used all my halloween cookie cutters & tried the most yummy recipe for chocolate cut-out cookies. A perfect substitute for using the standard ol sugar cookie. The cupcakes were just chocolate with butter cream that I colored orange & I topped them off with chocolate sprinkles. I was very pleased with how cute they came out..and extra excited when I saw one of my flickr photos on Cupcakes Take the Cake's blog..that was pretty cool..I was giggling & pointing at my monitor for a good 2 minutes when I saw my cupcakes posted on their blog..ah but I digress..lol

And the pumpkin cakes..I bought the cutest Wilton pan on eBay & received it last week, just in time to try it out for halloween. It's the mini pumpkin pan from I believe 1991. Makes 4 cakes, they end up being maybe a little bigger than a regular size cupcake, so I was able to make them & have some batter left over for the cupcakes..worked out nicely. Check out the pics!!





Comments on "Gettin in the mood..."

 

Blogger Adri said ... (1:58 PM) : 

Hi there!

I just stumbled across your site - it's such fun!
You reminded me of one of my favorite cake makers, from my childhood, Jane Asher. I'm not sure if you're familiar with her in the US, but here's her website (her decoration is amazing): http://www.jane-asher.co.uk/couture.asp.

Also, have you ever seen the book called "The Whimsical Bakehouse" (check amazon)? Brilliant decorations. I have this on my bookshelf, but haven't yet gotten the guts to try out any of the designs. Still, I thought I'd mention it to you as you might be just the person who'd be up to the challenge.

Anyway, best of luck to you in your endeavor! I'm looking forward to following your progress with your bakery-to-be.

Adri

 

Anonymous LisaSD said ... (12:35 AM) : 

Wow! You have been busy! Here I was feeling a sense of accomplishment for making a dozen cupcakes today and look at your goodies! It is such a fun time of year...it's all about eating and enjoying and what's not to like?

 

Blogger Alicat said ... (10:17 AM) : 

How cute!!! You should be proud, I didn't do anything for halloween!! :)

 

Anonymous Alice said ... (6:29 PM) : 

Wow...I love those cookies...and chocolate iced cookies are so very, very appropriate for Halloween! Too bad I found this in November! I'll have to remember for next year.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites