Sunday, November 27, 2005

The holidays are here: SHF/IMBB Cookie Swap



I know Christmas is the season of giving. It's not about the presents & what cool gifts we get. But Lord forgive me for saying this, Christmas is also the season of eating. Then again, what season isn't a season of eating for a food obsessed person like me? lol

So I started my holiday baking brainstorming sessions well before Thanksgiving, as a matter of fact, I think I started as soon as the first Christmas editions of my favorite magazines hit the stands. So far this year, I've bought 2 "special interest publications" from BH&G, a Christmas edition Family Circle & the infamous Martha Stewart "Holiday Cookies" issue. Believe me, I've got my eye on a few more..lol Do you think I will ever end up baking even a fourth of the yummy items in these magazines?? NO!! As a matter of fact, for the most part, I'll probably stick to my usual holiday cookies. But it's fun to daydream about all those yummy smells & delicious flavors. MmMmMmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. lol

Of course, we've established my obvious obsession with food and baking. So you know I was thrilled when I read that this month's edition of Sugar High Friday is a joint project between Jennifer over at Domestic Goddess, and Alberto over at Il Forno. They came up with a WONDERFUL idea for this month's SHF/IMBB - a virtual cookie swap!! Isn't that fantastic?? It gives everyone a great excuse to get a jump on their holiday cookie baking, testing out new recipes a few weeks in advance. Not to mention the swap is a fantastic way to get new holiday cookie recipes, with reveiws to go along with them.

For those of us in the US, the swap has fallen on a pretty hectic week for many of us - Thanksgiving!! It hasn't been too crazy for me, but the fact of the matter is, we have TONS upon TONS of leftovers and mulitple batches of cookies would just go to waste for us right now. So for the actual cookie swap I have only baked 1 new recipe. BUT!!! I'm including my recipe for the best homemade chocolate chip cookies I have ever tasted. I LOVE chocolate, pretty obvious from previous posts right?? Yes!! lol And I LOVE marshmellow stuffed inside most anything chocolate, so I found the perfect recipe for me as I was flipping the pages of MS's Holiday cookies magazine. There they were on pg. 89 in all their "cakey and tender" glory - Surprise Cookies. Ohmygosh!! These cookies are divine!! And I'm soooo proud they came out looking JUST LIKE MARTHA's!!! My only complaint?? You can't really taste the marshmellow. Would I make them again?? In a heartbeat!!

Surprise Cookies ~ makes 2 1/2 dozen

For the cookies:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder(not Dutch-process)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
About 15 marshmellows halved crosswise

For the frosting:
3 cups confectioners' sugar
6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder(not Dutch-process)
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp whole milk
3/4 tsp vanilla extract

1. Make cookies: Preheat over to 375 degrees. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda & salt into medium bowl; set aside. Put butter & sugar into bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Mix on medium high speed until pale & fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low; mix in egg, milk & vanilla. Mix in flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until combined.
2. Using a 1 3/4 inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until firm, 8-10 minutes. Immediately press a marshmellow half on top of each cookie. Bake until marshmellows begin to melt, 2 minutes more. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.
3. Make frosting: Put confectioners' sugar in medium bowl; set aside. Melt butter with cocoa powder in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occassionally. Add butter mixture to confectioners' sugar. Whisk in milk and vanilla. Spread about 1 Tbsp of frosting on top of each cookie to cover marshmellow. Let stand until set, about 10 minutes. Cookies can be stored in single layers in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 days.

Now..on to the best homemade chocolate chip cookies ever!! Move over Mrs. Fields here I come..using your recipe..lol I know we've all seen those copcat recipes right?? Well, I think this one really is because when I eat one of these cookies fresh from the oven, if I close my eyes I swear I'm standing in the middle of the mall foodcourt loaded down with arms full of shopping bags. Ahhh heaven isn't it? lol Blue Ribbon Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe

Labels: , , , , , ,

Comments on "The holidays are here: SHF/IMBB Cookie Swap"

 

Blogger Heather said ... (9:24 PM) : 

Both of your cookies look great. I am very impressed that your cookies do look like Martha's. I know that is a feat in itself. I have the magazine and have been wondering if the cookie would be more complicated than others I have tried. My problem is deciding which ones to make.
I also started in about October buying the holiday magazines and drooling over the recipes trying to decide which ones to make. I figure I can just keep on trying even after the holidays. I mean for food obsessed people there is always time to bake cookies!!

 

Blogger Heather said ... (11:27 PM) : 

I can see the name of our joint blog now "Christmas cookies ALL THE TIME!".
Ok I am not one for creative names tonight. It is because my brain is fried from doing Corporate Finance homework!! It will be better in 3 weeks.

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (12:22 AM) : 

lol Heather I love it..simple & to the point.

Need some cookies to eleviate that homework stress? eh..cookies help everything..lol

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:19 PM) : 

God, I love me a good chocolate chip cookie. They look fabulous! Argh, I need to get started on my cookies. And I still have no idea what to make. Btw, your baptism cake looks beautiful. Simple is always gorgeous. It beats the cake my friend saw over the weekend. He works at a reception center where a couple was getting married. Both born-agains. Three cakes. One traditional. One groom's. And one, er, holy? The bride had the caterer prepare a cross-happed cake. Totally doable. The caterer got worried when she asked for an image of Jesus along with FIVE inscriptions from the New Testament. At that point it wasn't a matter of spirituality for the poor caterer--she just HAD NO IDEA how to get all of those things to fit on a cross-cake.

But hey, my friend said the cake was really good :)

 

Blogger Robyn said ... (2:03 AM) : 

Oh I love your surprise cookies! They look decadent!

 

Blogger Nic said ... (3:55 PM) : 

If it has marshmallows, I'll take two! Those suprise cookies sound wonderful.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:42 PM) : 

Loving the surprise cookies!

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (7:42 PM) : 

Thanx everybody!! glad you all like. I totally recommend trying the recipe...they were soooo yummy =) and I had lots of fun participating in SHF/IMBB..as always =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:41 PM) : 

Hi, I am looking to find this year and any other year of the Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies Magazine. I live in Las Vegas, and haven't seen. Any ideas. Thanks. Loulu
If you could reply to MATSUOKA@aol.com
P.S. I loved you blogg and recipies. Thanks again.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites