Thursday, November 24, 2005

Low-fat & NOT lovin' it



*sigh* I'm sad to say that the microwave chips I spotted the recipe for over on
Nic's blog
left alot to be desired for me. Maybe I'm just picky, maybe I should have used some seasonings other than just salt, or maybe my expectations in a snack are simply too high. The chips were crispy, so I don't think it was a failed recipe, I just wasn't happy with the flavor.

The chips are actually super simple to make, they just take a little bit of time if you want a decent quantity, in otherwords..more than a handful. I'm fortunate enough to have a madeoline slicer, so I could easily slice the potatoes very thinly, which they need to be in order to fully cook & crisp up. When I saw this recipe I thought "oooh great, something low-fat and not loaded with sugar. AND a reason to use my much neglected madeoline slicer!!" How much better can a snack get right?? Well when I tasted the final producted I realized there was disappointment to be felt that faithful afternoon. It's hard to really even discribe why I didn't like the chips. They were crispy, but not that break into a million little pieces crispy like fried chips. And I'm sooooo all about not just flavor but texture, I mean doesn't that a true foodie make??? Yes!! And have you ever cooked or been served potatoes that were not completely cooked?? You know how they have that raw potato-y taste?? Well that's how the microwave chips were!!
*insert sad sigh*



Uncle Bill's Microwave Potato Chips


4 medium potatoes (russet, yellow gold, or red potatoes)
your choice spices or herbs (granulated garlic powder, seasoning salt, cayenne pepper, dried dill weed)

4 servings
22 minutes 15 mins prep

1. If potatoes are old, peel and slice thin, 1/16" in thickness, slicing across the potato. If the potatoes are new or good skins, DO NOT PEEL, just scrub well, then slice them 1/16" in thickness, slicing across the potato.
2. Sprinkle with your choice of spices or herbs or just leave them plain.
3. If you have a microwave bacon tray, place the sliced potatoes flat on the tray in a single layer.
4. Cover with a microwaveable, round heavy plastic cover.
5. Microwave on HIGH (full power) for 7 to 8 minutes. Cooking time could vary slightly, depending on the wattage of your microwave.
6. You do not have to turn the sliced potatoes over.
7. If you do not have a bacon tray, use a microwave safe casserole dish.
8. Rub the inside of the dish with some olive oil for the first batch of potato chips. I do not know why, but I find that if you do not rub oil the first time, some chips will tend to stick to the dish. After the first batch is done, you do not have to rub the dish again.
9. Continue to microwave the remainder of sliced potatoes as noted above.

Comments on "Low-fat & NOT lovin' it"

 

Blogger Nic said ... (10:29 AM) : 

Oh, bummer! They do sort of have a Pringles-type taste. I thought they were better when I used a mixed seasoning salt, rather than just plain salt.

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (3:13 PM) : 

that stinks! I was kind of hoping that recipe would work well...ah well.. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:04 PM) : 

I actually just tried making these the other night and then saw them on your site (lovely by the way--sooo many great ideas)--BUT I have to say that these came out GREAT for me!!! SOOO delicious. Like kettle chips but only potatoes and salt (as I'm a health nut).

I sliced the potatoes pretty thin (used a baking potato at first) and put them in a glass casserole dish sprayed with olive oil flavored cooking spray. Then I placed the slices in the dish and sprinkled some sea salt on top. I then microwaved for 5 minutes, opened the microwave to make sure they didn't burn and then set it for one more minute.

They get crispier if you let them cool for awhile (the longer the better).

I think the key is the thickness of the "chip" not too thick obviously..but not too THIN either.

I then tried this with sweet potatoes, parsnips, red potates, etc. (hoping to try purple potatoes for color)

Just be sure to keep checking on them because since microwaves vary so much they could EASILY burn. They will be perfect when they start to look like they're burning a bit (as you can see in the pic they have a fairly golden brown color in spots--that is ok)

I hope you give it a go again!

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites