Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Cookie Monster Strikes Again!

I'm a sucker for a good cookie, but I expect alot and I won't settle for less. I deserve the best darnit! I definitely wasn't disappointed with my latest batch of cookies, and I didn't need any taste testers to tell me I had a hit on my hands with these. A couple days ago I was craving chocolate chip cookies, so of course I headed to the kitchen to whip up a batch. But rather than reach for my usual recipe I decided to try my first ever Cook's Illustrated recipe. I like my chocolate chip cookies thick and chewy, soft even, and my standby recipe is good for that, but I wanted better. I'm a perfectionist what can I say? When I find what I'm looking for, I start striving for better.

Thick & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 18 large cookies

These oversized cookies are chewy and thick, like many of the chocolate chip cookies sold in gourmet shops and cookie stores. They rely on melted butter and an extra yolk to keep their texture soft. These cookies are best served warm from the oven but will retain their texture even when cooled. To ensure the proper texture, cool the cookies on the cookie sheet. Oversized cookie sheets allow you to get all the dough into the oven at one time. If you are using smaller cookie sheets, put fewer cookies on each sheet and bake them in batches.

2 cups plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted & cooled until warm
1 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1. Adjust oven racks to upper & lower -middle positions & heat oven to 325. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Whisk dry ingredients together; set aside.
3. With electric mixer, or by hand, mix butter & sugars until thoroughly combined. Beat in egg, yolk and vanilla until combined. Add dry ingredients & beat at low speed just until combined. Stir in chips.
4. Roll scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Holding dough ball in fingertips of both hands, pull into 2 equal halves. Rotate halves 90 degrees and, with jagged surfaces facing up, join halves at their base, again forming a single ball, be careful not to smooth uneven surface. Place formed dough onto cookie sheet, leaving 2 1/2 inches between each ball.
5. Bake, reversing position of cookie sheets halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft & puffy, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool cookies on sheets. Peel from parchment when cooled.

Ok, that whole splitting the dough ball in half & rotating it, sticking it back together - that was somewhat confusing without a visual, and just sounded like too much time and work involved. Besides that, looking at how much dough I had, I seriously didn't want cookies as huge as those would have been. So I used a small-ish dough scoop and made about 24 dough balls, making sure not to smooth out the dough, as noted in the recipe instructions. I cut down the baking time to about 12-14 minutes and the cookies were perfect! The original recipe called for 1-1 1/2 cups of chips. I added more like 2 cups which was more than enough. Anymore would have been too much. Also, I used a mix of semisweet chips and the caramel swirl chips from Toll House.


Lotta chocolate chips

Comments on "Cookie Monster Strikes Again!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 AM) : 

where can i find your usual chocolate chip cookie recipe?

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (3:17 PM) : 

Eric - I'm honestly not sure. I'll have to try this recipe a few more times & get back to you =) Both recipes really suit my taste, maybe I should do a side by side taste test?? hmm that sounds like a plan =)

Dani - my usual recipe is a copycat of Mrs. Fields Blue Ribbon Chocolate Chip Cookies. You can find it here : http://www.recipegoldmine.com/namebrand/namebrand58.html

 

Blogger Michelle said ... (5:31 PM) : 

Mmm...sounds good! Especially with those caramel chips thrown in the mix. I've gotten Cook's Illustrated, and have never tried one of their recipes (though I'm not sure why!). This is some good inspiration to do just that. I'm curious to see how your side-by-side experiment comes out...Great blog!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:02 PM) : 

drool......

 

Blogger little pomelo said ... (8:10 PM) : 

In case you've missed it...

Tag...!!
10 Random Facts You Didn't Know About Me.
Check out my blog first and you'll see how ^^
Thank you!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:09 PM) : 

Um..yeah I may just have to try these babies out!

 

Blogger Heather said ... (12:01 PM) : 

It looks like great minds think alike. I just made some great chocolate chip cookies too!! Yours look great.

 

Blogger Mona said ... (6:13 PM) : 

Wowie zowie. Too many cookies to try so little time! I always wondered why my cookies never tasted thick and chewy and soft..is it really the melted butter that makes the difference? that's amazing! keep makin' cookies because you are on a roll!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:34 PM) : 

i'm going to try making both cookies tonight, i'll have to let you know which one people think is better.

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (7:41 PM) : 

*blush* Thanx for all the wonderful comments y'all!!

Strawberry - yupz I saw the tag & thanx!! I luv memes..I've been a little busy but I'll get on it ASAP..I've got a couple memes to get done, so I'll get right to work on it.

Jen - Definitely try em out & let me know what you think!

Heather - yesss!! great minds do think alike. Yours look totally YUM-O! I'll have to give them a try sometime =)

Mona - I wondered the same thing for ages..and yes it definitely is the butter. My old standby uses room temp butter whipped with the sugars and also produces a chewy & soft cookie, but not so thick. By having the butter melted it creates a dough that's got a consistant texture, where as with softened butter as you work with the dough it warms & breaks the butter down, thus thinning the dough. (Hope that makes sense to anyone reading..lol)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:00 AM) : 

They look delicious!

I hope Cookie Monster strikes again soon ... you're obviously a great baker!

 

Blogger Cookie Madness said ... (3:10 PM) : 

I need to make those. Haven't made them in quite a while, but I remember them as being good.

I think I could do a whole blog on chocolate chip cookies.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:54 PM) : 

Your first ever CI recipe??!! Well, welcome to the club--their recipes are so dependably wonderful that you will be hooked! The pulling them apart and rotating sticking them together is purely for aesthetics, so I say who cares!

 

Blogger Mong's cupcakes said ... (10:10 PM) : 

I recently chanced upon this recipe at CCC Adding oatmeal powder really makes the cookies super yummy.

Mong

 

Blogger Season said ... (10:52 PM) : 

I bougtht the gigantic (1000+ page CI book) and I have been making this recipe with variations for weeks now trying to get a truely thick cookie. They are thicker than my usual but not THICK like a bakery cookie. I added 2 Tbs whey protein powder and that seemed to help a little. I live in Colorado but not very high (only 5000ft). Any suggestions??

Also, I tried a cookie sheet with two each of the pulled in half dough (their way), simple dough balls, and my own method (pushing a little crater in the center) and their way certainly came out the thickest and most consistent in texture.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:03 PM) : 

Do u sift the flours before measuring a cup of flours? Because the weight is quite different from sifting the flours or not. Thanks!

Sharon

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites