Thursday, February 02, 2006

A visit from the Muffin Man

Ok, well the Muffin Man didn't actually visit, but I did make muffins! A while back I had a craving for these muffins from my childhood. My Nana made them, and from there I think my Big Bad Dad must have made them. For some reason I distinctly remember eating them for breakfast before school. Breakfast before school was never a pleasant experience for me - I HATED eating so early in the morning and even more I HATED waking up early! But these muffins I didn't mind eating early in the morning, so naturally they left an impression on me, but for the rest of the family?? Not so much.

So I wanted these childhood muffins, but I had NO recipe. All I really remember about these muffins is that they were lowfat, and contained oatmeal and applesauce. Oh and I think the recipe came from the back of the Quaker Oatmeal container, but that's insignificant at this point. What's a girl to do?? Google of course!! My trusty Google came up with quite a lengthy list of muffin recipes containing oatmeal and applesauce, but I do believe I found MY recipe! I was a bit nervous until I tasted one. Nervous that I would be disappointed because these really weren't the muffins I longed for. Nervous that they were going to be totally disgusting because they are actually extremely healthy and we all know sometimes unfortunately that equates to extremely gross. But gross they are not..good they are. To me atleast.

The recipe is pretty simple, has minimal ingredients and is "guaranteed to turn you into a marathoner". Hey I don't know about that last part, I'm just quoting the recipe here! I have to be honest, the muffins don't look like much. The recipe makes 12 "medium-sized" muffins, but I made mine into 18 "squatty sized" muffins. A girl's gotta enforce portion control yanno? lol

Oaty Applesauce Muffins

1 c. Rolled Oats
1 c. buttermilk ( can use regular non-fat milk)
1 c. wheat flour
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1/4 c. granulated sugar
2 egg whites or 1 whole egg
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. chopped apple (cut into small even size chunks)
2 tsp. cinnamon

Soak oats in miik for 1 hours. After 1 hour add remaining ingredients and mix well. Line muffin tin with liners or spray with non-stick spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes, until golden brown. Yields 12 muffins.

Note: As I listed in the ingredients the original recipe indicates you can use regular non-fat milk instead of buttermilk. I also think you can probably use quick cooking oatmeal and omit the soaking step, just put everything into the bowl and combine. The original recipe did not contain chopped apples or cinnamon, but I had an apple going to waste and the batter smelled bland so I added some cinnamon. The muffins are good with and without the apple chunks and cinnamon. I made some of both =)

Comments on "A visit from the Muffin Man"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:49 AM) : 

Love the applesauce & oatmeal combo! It's funny what strong attachments we form to food we ate as children, isn't it?

 

Blogger Heather said ... (12:19 PM) : 

these sound great. Good for you on finding an old favorite.

 

Blogger Cookie Madness said ... (9:49 PM) : 

Taste of Home has a bunch of muffin recipes this month. They look good.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:32 PM) : 

I love baking with applesauce!

Jaay these sound delicious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

I must admit I sometimes share your philosophy that the healthier it is, the worse it tastes. I feel like I'm still 4 years old. But the recipes sounds yummy.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:41 PM) : 

Sounds like a good and healthy recipe.I'll have to give it a try.
Emily aka biscuits and blues

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites