Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Alton Brown, Chew on this!

I would say it's a little known fact that Alton Brown is one of my celebrity crushes. Yeah, yeah I know what you're thinking.."Alton Brown?? But he's so nerdy and goofy!". Yes, he is nerdy and goofy, but come on - that's part of his charm!! And besides that, the man can throw down in the kitchen, what woman doesn't love a man who can cook AND bake??

But crush factor aside, Alton has let me down today! Or maybe I've let myself down? At this moment I have no idea, which it is. I probably screwed something up, but it feels so much better to blame a man for it. HAHA, just kidding guys!

No but seriously, I just finished baking a batch of Alton's chocolate chip cookies known as "The Chewy" and while they taste good, they look sooo not cute. I've consulted with my dear Anna, the cookie queen herself, and possibly I didn't have the dough chilled well enough, and that's why the cookies basically flattened out as they cooled. The very dark brown-ness I would say is because the recipe called for such a large amount of brown sugar in comparison to the amount of granulated sugar called for. They definitely aren't burnt or even overdone. They just look like it..lol I have another chocolate chip cookie recipe or two that I want to try out, but I will give these another shot sometime to see if next time I can get them to turn out thicker. And I hope more visually appealing, as my Big Bad Dad nicknamed them "Chocolate Chip Cowpatties" because, yes, apparently they resemble the aforementioned. I have spent little to no time in a pasture, therefore I thankfully cannot confirm whether his observation is accurate or not. Ahh, clever guy that Big Bad Dad is.

The Chewy - Chocolate Chip Cookies

The Chewy
yields: 2 1/2 dozen

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Source: Alton Brown

Comments on "Alton Brown, Chew on this!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 AM) : 

much love for ab

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 PM) : 

oy, they do lack a little oomph, eh? Just proves that our beloved AB is human. all the more loveable :)

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (4:47 PM) : 

hehehe...cow patties eh? :) lol.

 

Blogger jasmine said ... (9:47 PM) : 

Guilty--I have a crush on Alton Brown as well...

For me it's a combination of the ability to cook and the ability to rhyme off scientific-ish explanations..

:)

 

Blogger Cookie Madness said ... (9:54 PM) : 

They do look a little bit flatter than the usual Alton Brown's I make. I wonder what happened? I'm sure they were good and all, but I am hoping you'll make them once more with a little more flour.

He is pretty much the only FoodTV person my scientist husband will watch. They have the same dorky sense of humor.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:57 PM) : 

A crush on Alton, huh? I wonder how many people secretly do? I don't have a physical crush on him, but culinary? Oh yeah!

 

Blogger Winston Zois said ... (4:29 PM) : 

Not to put Alton down. I agree that a funny, smart guy who can cook is hard to beat. I couldn't have made it through my first Thanksgiving hosting the new in-laws with out his recipe for roasted turkey. However, I have also tried lots of chocolate chip cookies and have found that the best recipe is from America's Test Kitchen. You may want to check out their website, http://www.cooksillustrated.com/. They also produce my favorite magizine.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:32 AM) : 

I love that man!

And I've made those cookies, and thought they came out great. Hope you've had better luck with them since this entry.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:10 AM) : 

The cookies came out flatter since butter was used. If you use margarine or oil or a mix of butter and mararine they come out puffier. I love AB and his turkey brine.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:36 PM) : 

How can you not have a crush on Alton.

As far as the chewy cookies go the first time I made them they came out a bit too flat also, and I chilled them overnight. I've found reducing the butter by 1 Tablespoon (from 8 TBLS to 7 TBLS or 3.5 oz) worked perfectly, the cookies came out a bit domed rather than flat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:39 PM) : 

Opps, I meant reduce the butter from 8 oz to 7 oz not from 8 TBLS to 7 TBLS.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:31 PM) : 

As long as they taste good. Besides they kind of look like the cookies my Mom backs so I think they are just fine.

 

Blogger Kurtis said ... (4:46 AM) : 

I made Alton's recipe twice now and the cookies came out perfect for me. Did you use Parchment Paper? Did you use just the yolk from the second egg? The only other thing that I can think of would be the bread flour. The first time I did not chill the dough, and it worked out fine.

Anyways, they came up nice and soft and puffy for me, they harden up really bad after only 1-2 days though. :(

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (4:47 AM) : 

Hopelessly in love with AB, the nerdy and goofy traits he so adorably displays in Good Eats stole my heart! One has to LOVE a man who isn't ashamed to don an apron, embarrassed by acting wacky, and has such a sexy sexy wide ranged intellect! One of my favorite revisited from him is the over night cinnamon rolls super yummy!

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites