Monday, February 20, 2006

Who you callin crusty??

In another effort to play catch up with last weeks baking adventures I introduce you to Crusty!!

Crusty French Bread

Crusty was the star of those delicious cheese sandwiches I grilled up for "Cheese Sandwich Day" last Thursday. I randomly stumbled onto this website: cookingcache where I found a somewhat sketchy recipe for a crusty French bread that seemed to have some potential. So I printed the recipe out and went to improvising, and ended up with a tasty bread that is great for making paninis, garlic bread, crostini and everything in between. I even made banana nutella dessert paninis with it!!

Crusty French Bread
yields 2 8 inch long loaves

1 pkg (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (110-115 degrees), divided
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
4 cups all-purpose flour
cornmeal

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add sugar, salt, melted butter, and remaining 1 cup warm water; stir until dissolved. Add flour and stir until smooth (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm draft free place for 1 hour or until doubled in size. Turn onto a floured surface. Divide dough in half; let rest for 10 minutes. Roll each half into a 10 x 8" rectangle. Roll up from a long side; pinch to seal seam. Place seam side down on greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. If desired sprinkle top of loaves with cornmeal.

Bake until golden brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped on. (The recipe didn't indicate a baking temperature or time. I found 450 to be an appropriate temperature. I think I baked the loaves for about 20-30 minutes.)

Comments on "Who you callin crusty??"

 

Blogger Felicia said ... (8:48 PM) : 

I just finished baking up some crusty goodness and it is delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:48 PM) : 

I've never tried my hand at bread baking before.I just may have to try this one.
Emily
http://madmommychronicles.typepad.com/biscuits_and_blues

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:20 PM) : 

looks and sounds delicious!

 

Blogger Mona said ... (2:36 PM) : 

wow. you made the bread you put the cheese on ??! that is impressive!! i thought i was going to have fun just picking out cheese. you've taken this to a whole new level :) way to go!

 

Blogger Nic said ... (8:03 PM) : 

These look great!

 

Blogger Cyndi said ... (11:53 PM) : 

20 years or so ago I used to make French bread, but haven't for that long. You make it sound easy; I guess I'll have to try it again!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:40 PM) : 

Those are some good looking loaves. I have yet to try such a project. the closest I came to was focaccia. i have some work to do :)

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites