Sunday, September 10, 2006

We've Come A Long Way Baby!

As I mentioned in my previous post, while on my recent forced hiatus, I missed out on celebrating that my blog turned 1 year old. Me being me, I look for any and every possible reason to bake up something sweet. So of course the 1 year anniversary of the creation of Culinarily Obsessed was a perfect reason, and I knew exactly what I wanted to make.

I already had some buttercream on hand that makes a perfect filling for sandwich cookies. So I sat down in front of the bookcase and started searching. I decided on a chocolate sandwich cookie recipe that yielded a cookie that is remarkably like an Oreo. Retro Desserts is a book I've adored for ages, it's packed full of cake, cupcake, pie, pudding, cookie, candy and ice cream recipes, they've even got a chapter titled "Posh Nosh - Classic Desserts of The Fancy-Pants Restaurants". If you're a dessert person, the book is worth checking out, everything in the book really does tempt me to try out the recipe, and I can't always say that about an entire book.
Homemade Oreos

I hope y'all try out the recipe and enjoy it. I can assure you it was kid tested and better than that - kid approved! I have enjoyed my first year as a part of the food blogging community. Thanks to everyone who has made this first year so wonderful, I hope to share many more blog anniversaries with y'all.
Homemade Oreos

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies With Vanilla-Cream Filling*

Cookies:
1 1/4 cups sll-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg

1. Set 2 racks in the middle and upper third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, or in a food processor, thoroughly mix together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. While mixing on low speed or pulsing, add the butter, then the egg. Beat or process until the dough is thoroughly blended and massed together.

3. Drop rounded teaspoons of batter onto parchment-lined cookie sheets at 2-inch intervals. With moistened fingers, round out the cookies and flatten them a little. Bake for 9 minutes, turning the pans once for even baking, until the cookies are set. Sit the cookie sheets on a rack to cool.

Vanilla-Cream Filling

1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Put the butter and shortening in a mixing bowl and, at low speed, gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla, until blended. Turn the mixer speed to high and beat for 2-3 minutes more, until fluffy.

2. To assemble, place teaspoon size blobs of filling onto the tops of half of the cookies. Keeping the smooth bottoms of the cookies facing up, flip the remaining cookies on top of the filling and lightly press to form sandwiches. (You can also pipe filling onto cookies using a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch tip.)

Makes 36 cookie sandwiches

*I used a shortening based buttercream for the filling, so I have not tried the vanilla-cream filling.

Comments on "We've Come A Long Way Baby!"

 

Blogger Julia said ... (1:39 PM) : 

happy anniversary!! =)
wow, these cookies look so delicious - a 1000 times better than Oreo’s! (and I love my Oreo’s...)
the book sounds good to, I as well have only one or two cookbooks which have all nice recipes...
up to next year!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:20 PM) : 

Can you share the buttercream recipe you used in the photo? It looks delicious!

 

Blogger wheresmymind said ... (1:35 PM) : 

Mmm...those stuffed cookays look in-CREDIBLE!

 

Blogger Jen the Bread Freak said ... (12:49 AM) : 

Home made oreos! Yummy! I think I'll have to add these to my list of things to try out soon. :D

 

Blogger Nicole said ... (10:07 AM) : 

Are these soft or crispy? I am a sucker for soft cookies.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:40 AM) : 

Jaay, these look fab! I wonder if it's totally legit to eat this with breakfast? The glass of milk would count for something, right? :) Happy Blog-Anniversary!

 

Blogger Randi said ... (9:47 AM) : 

Those look great!! I just noticed you're in Charlotte. I was just there last week( actually, I was in Mathews). The southern hospitality was wonderful.

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (1:25 PM) : 

Hi Randi! I'm so glad to hear that - I live in Matthews actually, so it's especially nice to know you felt our southern hospitality.

I hope you'll visit both Matthews & my blog again soon =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31 PM) : 

I've had this recipe in my "to try" stack for ages. Yours look delicious! I especially like the pink filling.

 

Blogger nylisa said ... (3:56 PM) : 

wow i love your posts!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:50 PM) : 

Hi, sweetie !
I´m Rui from Brazil!
I´m looking for a partiner who´d like to launch a worldwide consulting business.
What you think ?
Please, send me an e-mail.
Rui.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (2:54 PM) : 

I have the same book and I made the grasshopper pie - it came out pretty well!

Great posts - You've been bookmarked!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:03 PM) : 

Looks like I'm going to have to bookmark your site! I'm always looking for new recipes, especially one's that have been TRIED by an actual person.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:06 AM) : 

Those sandwich cookies look oooooh-so-yummy. I'm loving the way it looks, will definitely try it out! thanks for sharing and i heart your blog!=) happy anniversary!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:21 AM) : 

Just wanted to say that I just tried this recipe and it is quite good. The vanilla cream filling was great, and very similar to that of an actual oreo! My cookies definitely turned out crispy, to whoever asked above.

Love your blog! Thanks!

 

Blogger A. T. said ... (9:12 AM) : 

New reader here. Those cookies look delicious! Congrats on your one year! I'm definitely adding your blog to my blogroll!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:37 PM) : 

well, there goes MY diet!

i will be trying this recipe this weekend!

 

Blogger Caley said ... (1:07 PM) : 

There's nothing a foodie loves more than to do those mass-produced goodies better! I've actually featured a link to your website (with an image of those delicious cookies) as part of our Homemade Christmas Gift Guide. You can see your inclusion at the Foodie page. Keep up the great work!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:45 AM) : 

They just taste like chocolate cake...still looking for a recipe that tastes like an oreo =\

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites