Friday, June 02, 2006

Move over Shortcake, there's a new Strawberry Chic in town!

A couple weeks ago while checking in on some of my favorite food bloggers, I stopped by Lick The Spoon, and found a strawberry tart recipe I just had to try. The recipe came from the May 2006 Everyday Food, and I swear to you it's too delicious for words!

I admit it, I enjoy most everything I bake, expect for the failed experiments here and there. But you know as well as I do, every once in a while you hit upon something new that just totally knocks your socks off. Well, this strawberry tart compliments of Ms. Martha Stewart is it for me. My big bad dad who is picky as all get out and claims he's not a big fan of strawberries even actually liked this tart.

Strawberry Cream Tart


I found it not to be the quickest recipe because you have to make and bake the crust, then you have to cool it and make the filling, clean and cut the strawberries. But it was well worth it and not a difficult recipe at all. Be sure your crust is completely cooled before you stick it in the fridge, I tried to be smart and quick about it, stuck mine in the fridge too soon and it did a little sweating and my crust got soggy. It was still delicious though!!

With strawberries officially in season, you gotta try this! And of course let me know how much you love it cause I know you will..lol

Strawberry Tart
TART CRUST
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

FILLING

1 bar (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 to 2 pounds strawberries, hulled and halved
1/4 cup seedless red currant jelly

1. Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350°. In a food processor, blend flour, butter, sugar, and salt until moist crumbs form (this may take up to 1 minute). Transfer dough to a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom.

2. With floured fingers, press dough evenly into pan and up sides. Dip a dry-measuring cup in flour, and use it to press dough firmly into bottom and against sides of pan. Freeze crust until firm, 10 to 15 minutes.

3. Using a fork, prick crust all over. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes, pressing down gently once or twice with a spoon during baking if crust puffs up. Cool completely in pan.

4. Make the filling: In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese and sugar until smooth; spread mixture evenly in bottom of baked crust (still in tart pan).

5. Starting from outside edge, arrange strawberry halves, stemmed side down, in tight concentric circles on cream cheese.

6. In a small saucepan, heat jelly on medium-low until liquefied. Gently brush strawberries with jelly; let set at least 20 minutes. Chill in pan at least 1 hour (and up to 6 hours); remove from pan just before serving.

Comments on "Move over Shortcake, there's a new Strawberry Chic in town!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:31 AM) : 

hmm I don't know about that red currant jelly. And I don't have a food processor :(

I could probably make a shortbread crust though, I've done that for tarts before...

Thanks for posting it! I think I really want to make these little strawberry tarts my Mom used to make for me to take in to French class on food days.

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (4:09 PM) : 

Hi Tammi, sorry it took me so long..I think I'm finally getting caught up on some stuff..for the moment atleast..lol

The crust was delish & super easy, but yeah u definitely need a food processor. You could always make a graham cracker crust..that would be tasty too, or just use a regular ol pie crust recipe.

I wasn't sure about the red currant jelly either, but after I put it on the strawberries I couldn't even taste it. You could also use strawberry jelly in place of the red currant jelly, that would work well too. The jelly is pretty much just to give the berries that pretty shine.

 

Blogger Sarah Caron said ... (10:33 PM) : 

Oooh. That sounds so yummy and fairly simple to prepare. I've never had red currant jelly, but I would be willing to give it a try.

 

Blogger jasmine said ... (11:47 PM) : 

It looks wonderful!

:)

j

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:18 AM) : 

Do you think regular cream cheese would b e okay to use instead of the low fat?

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (1:40 AM) : 

anonymous, yes regular would be fine I'm sure. Although I think recipe calls for low-fat because of the softer consistency. So if you opt to use regular full fat cream cheese you will need to make sure it is well softened.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:16 PM) : 

Ahh, perfection.

 

Blogger Annie said ... (10:18 PM) : 

If it tastes as good as it looks, it's a sure winner. I love fruit desserts, I just made a Blueberry Clafouti, come check it out on Mixed Salad Annie when you get a chance.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites