Friday, April 21, 2006

Southern Eggcellence..

Growing up in the south, egg custard pie is one of the things I loved. It's not like brownies, or chocolate chip cookies - something I eat on a pretty regular basis. But I think those infrequent occassions have always made it all the more delicious to me.

Last fall while participating in one of the Sugar High Friday events I made Custard Tartlets, which did not disappoint, but they weren't filled with that sweet southern charm. Close, but no cigar! Or in this case, slice of pie. I've found numerous custard & egg tart recipes, but none seem to be the egg custard that I know and love. And, sadly there has been no family recipe passed down to me. Well, after much searching and coming up empty handed, I found a true Egg Custard Pie recipe on AllRecipes.com of course!

I'm not the most experienced when it comes to making pie crust, Donna Hay's "Modern Classics 2" has a very easy and tasty shortcrust recipe I usually use. But I decided to try the 3-step Pastry recipe I found in one of my back issues of Kraft Food & Family magazine. I must say, much like the Donna Hay crust I usually make, this one is super easy and delicious.

Egg Custard Pie


3-step Pastry
(yields enough for double crust pie)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup(1 stick) butter
1/2 block (4ozs) cream cheese
1 Tbsp granulated sugar

Cut butter and cream cheese into cubes. Put all ingredients into food processor. Pulse until dough forms. Wrap dough & place chill 1 hour.

Roll half of dough on lightly floured surface. Place in 9 inch pie plate.

Egg Custard Pie

6 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 cups milk
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Then beat in vanilla, salt and nutmeg. Stir in milk. Pour into crust.

Bake in preheated 475 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce temp to 350 degrees and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is set.


Comments on "Southern Eggcellence.."

 

Blogger jasmine said ... (10:56 PM) : 

Hi Jaay!

I think there really must be something in the air -- you, Ivonne and I have all posted about custard in the past few days.

Yum--haven't heard of custard pie before...on the to try list :)

The world always needs more custard :)

j

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:50 PM) : 

When I was young,my moms best friend loved custard.Everytime we ate at her house,that would be dessert.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:39 PM) : 

I am on my way to Wal-mart to buy the stuff to make the custard pie. I hope it's as good as Hubig's.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites