Sunday, July 02, 2006

How the cookie really crumbles

best choc chip cookies


Perhaps you might call me a connoisseur of cookies, or maybe I'm just picky? Either way I know what I like and I often have very specific expectations when it comes to cookies, especially chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies!

Over the last few months I've experimented with several chocolate chip cookie recipes. And thought I'd found the one with when I tested out the Alton Brown recipe known as "The Chewy". Well, as fate would have it - yes I believe in fate, even when it comes to food! I stumbled upon a recipe on allrecipes.com, the ratings were pretty darn high with stellar reviews, so I just had to see if this cookie lived up to all the hype, and believe me, it did!

Best Big, Fat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.

Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely

best choc chip cookieThese cookies tout themselves as being "the pinniacle of perfection!," and as the type of cookie that you will find in bakeries and specialty shops. I agree 100%! I've made multiple batches and been so happy with each batch that I now keep a container of the unbaked dough in my freezer.

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "How the cookie really crumbles"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:24 AM) : 

I've done a lot of different Chocolate Chip recipes, too, looking for the One True Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Those ones are good, but have you tried Beth's Chocolate Chip Cookies (http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/BethChocoChip.asp), also on allrecipes? I've got raves from everyone who has tried them!

 

Blogger Cookie Madness said ... (4:21 PM) : 

I need to try those. I made them a long, long, time ago.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:51 AM) : 

I need to try these.They look great.

 

Blogger Sarah Caron said ... (10:40 PM) : 

I am a HUGE fan of the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie from Ghirdelli's website...but yours look incredable too.

Is that a Pottery Barn plate? It looks identical to mine!

 

Blogger Jen said ... (10:11 AM) : 

all I can say is yummo, these cookis look great!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:16 PM) : 

I made these last night and they are really good! I also froze about half of the dough so we won't eat them all this weekend! Thanks for the recipe!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:41 PM) : 

Ah! I was going to make the Mrs. Field's cookies that you raved about, but now I think that I will make these instead. Thank you for your quest for the perfect CCC. I thought that I was the only one...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:01 PM) : 

As a follow up:
These are excellent all around. I love the flavor of the dough (cooked and raw), just as much as I love it with the chocolate chips. They look great too! These are my definitely my new favorites. Heck, I may have found my perfect cookie. :)

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (12:19 AM) : 

Erika, that's awesome! I'm so glad you like these! I definitely think these are my perfect chocolate chip cookie. So perhaps this quest is over & I'll be on to something else? I think I may tackle the quest for my perfect brownie next. It's been an off & on search for me, so maybe that's up next. Stay tuned!

thanks everyone for the comments. Sorry I've been so inconsistant with the posting lately - I'm really trying to get back into the groove of things.

And Eric..lol someone has to get fat with me right? And I can think of no one I'd rather fatten up with me than you! It's all love =)

 

Blogger lobstersquad said ... (4:19 AM) : 

I´m on a quest for the best cookie ever. These sound exactly what I´m looking for. I´ll let you know when I make them. thanks

 

Blogger Curt McAdams said ... (3:28 PM) : 

I made these over the weekend, and they are so good, I'd buy them. I took some to work, and people are asking me to make them for them to take home, and I'm using them for a dessert for a holiday lunch I'm catering. I can't believe how much I love these!

I made a couple of changes, though. I added about a tablespoon of cinnamon (as I told you, already Jaay), and I baked at 320 on convection/bake setting. 3 days later, and they're still great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:38 AM) : 

These look so good! I've been craving a good homemade cookie. I'd love a good brownie recipe. So far, for homemade, nothing comes up equal to the Duncan Hines Dark chocolate mix. But, I don't get to bake or experiment much because I get in *trouble* if I keep that stuff around since my hubby eats it all.. I'll be waiting to hear when you come across that ultimate brownie recipe!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:46 PM) : 

The BEST cookie EVER!!! Thanks a ton!! :)

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites