Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Well that's just peachy!

Tis the season for peaches. You may remember a while back I made that gorgeous and absolutely delicious strawberry tart. Well I got a craving for one again recently, so I headed out to the neighborhood strawberry stand and guess what? It was gone! I don't know where on earth I've been but strawberry season here in North Carolina is officially OVER and peach season is in!

With all the juicy and delicious peaches filling up this state right now, I just couldn't buy greenhouse strawberries in the grocery store from God knows where. But I was still craving that darn tart! What's a girl with fresh local peaches and a tart craving to do? I came up with the extremely delicous and summery "Peaches n Cream Tart".

Peaches n Cream Tart


Much to my disappointment, I discovered the Big Bad Dad doesn't like peaches, so he gave the tart no more than a nibble and it was all mine. Getting fat enough thanks to my recent birthday I had to get atleast half that tart outta here and fast or I would have eaten the whole thing and been all that much more plump - and it wouldn't have been pleasant! So after eating a couple slices myself I hauled it off to my taste testers and it received rave reviews.

Peaches n Cream Tart


Peaches n Cream Tart

TART CRUST
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

FILLING

1 bar (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar, plus more to sprinkle on peaches
4-5 medium size ripe peaches, peeled and sliced

1. Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350°. In a food processor, blend flour, butter, sugar, and salt until moist crumbs form (this may take up to 1 minute). Transfer dough to a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom.

2. With floured fingers, press dough evenly into pan and up sides. Dip a dry-measuring cup in flour, and use it to press dough firmly into bottom and against sides of pan. Freeze crust until firm, 10 to 15 minutes.

3. Using a fork, prick crust all over. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes, pressing down gently once or twice with a spoon during baking if crust puffs up. Cool completely in pan.

4. Make the filling: In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese and sugar until smooth; spread mixture evenly in bottom of baked crust (still in tart pan).

5. Starting from outside edge, arrange peach slices, in tight concentric circles on cream cheese. Sprinkle peaches with sugar to suit your taste.

6. Chill in pan atleast 1 hour, up to 6 hours. Remove from pan before just serving.

Comments on "Well that's just peachy!"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:57 PM) : 

omg-that sounds perfect and just when i'm trying to drop some lb's.

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (7:58 PM) : 

I haven't got a clue..with the weekend quickly approaching not much. I did make french bread pizzas for dinner. Not that you can really consider that cooking they were so easy..but they were delicious!

 

Blogger Heather said ... (9:19 AM) : 

I am dying right now to try tart making. I have been kicking it around awhile, but this recipe I think has sent me over the edge to head out and buy a tart pan!
Thanks for sharing Jaay

 

Blogger Jen said ... (3:41 AM) : 

This looks delicious, I lve the peaches and cream combination!

 

Blogger Julia said ... (2:51 PM) : 

Looks also with peaches very succeed!
I've just discovered your blog and I think it's great. Can’t wait for new posts! :)
I’ve just started actually my own blog - TastingLife.
Really hope you'll check it out!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:51 AM) : 

This tart looks wonderful! My mom used to make something similar with fresh strawberries and I never thought to try it with peaches! I'll definitely be trying this one of these days...thanks!

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (7:22 PM) : 

Well, I'm still not back online at home - I'm at the library now using their wifi. I've had a heck of a time with my internet provide. I told them from the start my modem needed to be replaced, after a service all over the weekend & 4 phone calls to tech support they finally agree. Apparently the modem has a signal they can detect remotely and the ethernet cable is fine, but there is some problem with making the actual connection from modem to computer.

Thank God we're all alright though yes, and the house itself suffered no real damage, although it's puzzling how it happened. Feel free to call if you like..

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (11:45 PM) : 

I know!!! And now you're gonna be gone on vacation..without me. No fair. I need you to motivate me into culinary creativity..please?? lol

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (3:51 PM) : 

Deal! Now, I just have to pick something out to make..lol

wish you could be my taste tester =(

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (2:46 PM) : 

The weekend was decent. How was the trip? You flying solo for a few days or is the family back too?

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (1:54 PM) : 

Ah, well that sucks that the weather was bad, glad you guys had a great trip tho!

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (9:16 PM) : 

Yeah..for like 5 seconds we got to catch up..better than nothing though right? lol

umm Labor Day? I have NO idea..no plans yet, don't even know when it is actually..lol what do you have planned? I know something big knowing your gang..lol

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (4:06 PM) : 

Sounds like fun! Too bad I can't join in on the festivities.

Eh, I guess maybe we'll throw some burgers on the grill or something. We'll probably figure it out Monday afternoon..when we start getting hungry for dinner lol

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:26 AM) : 

I've been wondering what I could make (other than Peach Ice Ceam) with all those peaches at the fruit stand down the road. Now I know....

Thanks for dropping in to visit me. My cooking has gone somewhat dormant while I try to decide what house plan to build and finish up the quilts. Nice to know someone else is cookin' and postin'.

Great site!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59 PM) : 

Wow! This looks incredibly delicious!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:27 PM) : 

ahhh I need to make a fruit tart, sometime... your post reminded me of my craving. thanks! lol.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites