Thursday, September 07, 2006

Happy Birthday Cupcake!

So I've been gone for what feels like an eternity. Alot has been going on - work has been busy, the summer has kept us constantly on the go, and our house was struck by lightning during a really horrendous thunderstorm. The family and the house itself are just fine. But everything that was even moderately electronic in the house? That was a different story. We're mostly back to normal now, so I'm ready to get back to blogging.

Sadly, I missed my blog-birthday, so I didn't get to say Happy Blog Day to me. The one year anniversary was August 10th, so perhaps we can have a Happy Belated Blog Day celebration on September 10th? Yes, yes I think we will do just that.

Today is a very special day though - it's the birthday of a very special friend. Unfortunately we're states apart and I can't join in on the actual festivities, but I thought I'd create a little celebration of my own in his honor. I truly feel like this man is one of my biggest supporters. And our love of food seems to draw us even closer to one another, which is why sending out my wishes for a fantastic and truly happy birthday via my food blog seemed so appropriate.

lemon cupcakes with vanilla-lemon buttercream


So Eric, this one's for you Kid. Happy, Happy Birthday. Love Ya!

The September issue of Everyday Food includes yellow cupcakes with vanilla frosting, so I thought today would be as perfect a time as any to give them a try. I had a lemon sitting out that was in it's last few days, so I decided to make good use of it in these cupcakes.

lemon cupcakes with vanilla-lemon buttercream


Yellow Cupcakes

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp lemon juice
finely grated zest of 1 small lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line 12 standard muffin tins with paper liners. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a liquid measuring cup, mix milk and vanilla; set aside.

In bowl of electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. With mixer on low speed, add half of dry ingredients, followed by milk mixture, then remaining dry ingredients. Add lemon juice and zest. Do not overmix.

Divide batter evenly amoung prepared muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan for 5 minutes, then remove to rack to cool completely.

Vanilla Frosting

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat all ingredients together until smooth. Mix in more confectioners sugar or milk as needed to achieve a spreadable consistency.

Comments on "Happy Birthday Cupcake!"

 

Blogger Cate said ... (8:07 AM) : 

Happy Belated Blog Birthday! Love the plate (and the cupcakes, of course!) - where'd you get it?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:07 PM) : 

"a lot" is two wordss. please fix it! grammar mistakes kill me.

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (9:09 PM) : 

Well thank you for anonymously pointing out that out and letting me know that grammatical mistakes bother you so.

Since we're discussing grammar, we might as well mention spelling and point out that when writing, sentences should begin with capital letters.

Please come back often and ALOT, I'm sure I'll commit many more grammatical crimes. =)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:42 PM) : 

Happy Blog Birthday, glad to see you back, your wonderful food photos always make me smile (and hungry)!!

Glad to hear you and your family are alright after the lighting strike. Electronics can always be replaced!

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (12:39 AM) : 

lol yes I called you kid! It was part of the dedication..lol I'm glad you finally had time to check in and read. Now you see why I've been asking repeatedly? I didn't want to give away the surprise of it.

You deserve it! I wish I could have given you the cupcakes in person, but hopefully this seems like the next best thing. They seemed extra special because I couldn't eat a bite without thinking about you. I knew this would be a tough birthday for you, you're right about that. But I hope that you look at it now and don't feel it's nearly as tough as you anticipated..I really do hope.

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (1:23 PM) : 

Sounds like you had quite the party. Of course I know it wasn't really a party without me there...lol I'm kidding

I'm glad to hear you had a wonderful celebration.

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (1:22 PM) : 

Well, I have some cookie recipes I've tried out & need to get posted.

As far as great dishes go..I need to find one I guess..lol Any suggestions?

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (1:01 PM) : 

Want to come man the grill for me?? =) lol

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (1:06 PM) : 

yum! I love chili...do you put beans in yours? We do..alot of people don't though it seems. My dad makes really good chili, his "recipe" is pretty simple though..so simple I'm not even sure it should be called a recipe lol

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (11:21 PM) : 

Yum! Will you please come cook that for me? It sounds so good. Maybe a bit spicy for me though. You made cornbread biscuits?? What's that? Or do you mean cornbread muffins, where you put the batter into muffin tins? They sound yummy though whatever they are.

I didn't technically make anything..lol my dad usually does our Sunday night dinner - I like it better that way =) He made hamburger steak & onions yum!

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (1:21 PM) : 

oooh ok, I thought maybe a cornbread biscuit was some yankee thing I haven't heard of..lol

Hamburger steak is soooo not steak. It's just a hamburger with grilled/sauteed onions, but it's not on a bun & is eaten as a meat n vegetables kinda meal. And it must be eaten with lots & lots of A1 sauce, according to me anyway =)

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (1:12 PM) : 

haha, well A1 is just associated with tasty down here, atleast in my book =)

Hmm..so you guys are having a Luau huh? Such fun! I planned a luau themed party a few months back..the food was catered though, lots of Filipino foods (not my area of expertise - but it was delish!). What kind of dish do you want to make - side dish, meat, dessert, appetizer? Something fruity or with some pineapple would go great with the theme.

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (1:30 PM) : 

I'm not a huge fan of bell peppers, but everything else sounds really delish to me! I think for my taste preferences I would change the peppers out for thinly sliced grilled onion along with the pineapple.

If I wasn't feeling under the weater I would be SO hungry right now!

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (1:05 PM) : 

Soy Sauce chicken? You mean like teriyaki chicken? If so yessss I've had it & I love the stuff. Otherwise, nope never had it, but I love soy sauce so I'm sure it's delish

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (12:42 AM) : 

That sounds so delish! What does it take to be so lucky to find a man that enjoys cooking and makes such delicious things? I know you're good for more than the cooking, but you know how much I love food. I would feel like the luckiest woman on earth! =)

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (1:33 PM) : 

Aww, well I hope so. And yup - who knows. You're exactly right!

The rest of my weekend was ok, not feeling so good again, but feeling a little better again today. How was the rest of your weekend?

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (4:40 PM) : 

No tests, but out patient "surgery" yes. Thursday, and I'm scared =(

 

Blogger Mong's cupcakes said ... (9:58 PM) : 

I love your plate!!!

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites