Friday, November 16, 2007

Happy Fall Y'all!

While the beautiful and vibrant foliage has given the appearance of fall, the chilly, blustery weather typical of the season has been an on-again off-again thing for us over the past several weeks. But it seems that we are finally settling into the season, with nighttime temperatures starting to fall into the 30's and the North Carolina mountains receiving a rather abrupt snowfall just a few days ago. Can I just say, thank goodness I don't live in the mountains right about now?

You may remember, a few weeks back I tested out Beef and Beer Chili in anticipation of the forthcoming chilly weather, no pun intended. Well, earlier this week as I started to accept the fact that I must begin waving a sad goodbye to my cute tank tops, shortsleeve blouses, adorable capris and oh-so loved shorts of summer and start dragging out my sweaters, scarves, gloves and other cold weather clothes I developed a craving for something hearty and warm you straight to the bone. I could think of nothing better than soup, so I whipped up a batch of my easy Au Gratin Potato Soup. My inspiration comes from a very similar recipe I found on Allrecipes. My changes were pretty simple and fairly minor but changed the flavor a bit and took away some of the fat and calories, but left the soup lacking nothing in my opinion. I don't think I'm too far off in saying that either, as I got no complaints or criticism from my Big, Bad Dad, he even went back for seconds.

au gratin potato soup


Au Gratin Potato Soup

4 medium red skinned potatoes, cubed
1 (5.5 ounce) package au gratin instant potato mix
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup milk (2% is suitable)
crumbled cooked bacon (2 strips per bowl)

In a large saucepan or pot, combine potatoes, au gratin potato mix, chicken broth and water. Add more water to cover if necessary. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in cream and heat through. While soup is cooking, prepare bacon, drain grease and crumble. Serve with bacon crumbles on top.

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "Happy Fall Y'all!"

 

Blogger Carrie said ... (6:23 AM) : 

YUM!! I love potato soup! That looks amazing! I'm so glad you found my site! We NC blogging girls need to stick together!! ;-)

 

Blogger Abby said ... (2:21 PM) : 

Brad eats a LOT of soup, and I'd much rather him eat some we make at home than a can of Campbell's. (I can't stomach that stuff.) Potato is one of my faves!

What part of NC are you from? Born and bred?

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites