Sunday, August 26, 2007

Rachael Ray's Gigi's Apple Cake

Ok, I'm reaching into my archives with this one. I made this so long ago I can't even remember when, but for some reason I kept it a secret, never taking time enough to share it with y'all. Most people who know me know I'm not a Rachael Ray fan. I'm not a Rach-hater, I'm just not a Rach-lover. I do however really like her talkshow, and I love, love, triple lover her magazine, Everyday with Rachael Ray. I don't make too many of the recipes from the magazine, and I have yet to make a recipe from any of her shows, but I really dig the style of the magazine and Rach's talkshow.

The recipes in the Sweet Spot section of the magazine always catch my eye and if I'm going to make one of the recipes from Everyday with Rachael Ray, that's 9 times out of 10 going to be the recipe. I found the recipe for Gigi's Apple Cake in the August/September issue. I have no idea who Gigi is, but the cake was gorgeous and sounded absolutely delicious. I love apples and the cake turned out great, nice and moist from the apples. My cake didn't turn out to look like the one in the magazine, but I'm sure it tasted just as good.

Apple Cake


Gigi's Apple Cake

1 cup canola oil, plus more for greasing
2½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
6 Granny Smith apples (about 1¼ pounds)-peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2¼ cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1/3 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt or tube pan. In a medium bowl, combine the 2½ cups of flour with the baking powder and 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon. In a large bowl, toss the apples with ¼ cup of the sugar and the remaining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and set aside.

In a standing mixed fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the 1 cup of oil with the eggs, orange juice, vanilla and the remaining 2 cups of sugar on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the flour in 3 batches, mixing until just combined. Add the apples and stir to combine. Transfer to the pan, leaving about an inch at the top, and bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, about 1½ hours. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 30 minutes before unmolding it onto a rack to cool completely.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Comments on "Rachael Ray's Gigi's Apple Cake"

 

Blogger Katie said ... (2:40 AM) : 

That looks very tasty. I like how you can still see the chunks of apple in it.

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (3:47 PM) : 

Apple cakes are always a great thing - and this is no exception, it looks delicious!

 

Blogger slush said ... (11:46 AM) : 

Your cake looks fantastic! I havent made an apple cake in a long time, but I may make this one for my brothers birthday. Thanks!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:00 AM) : 

I've been making this cake for over a year now, I saw it in the magazine when it first came out. This is an absolutly awesome cake. Be sure to use the granny smith apples, it makes a difference. I do toss some extra cinnamon and sugar on the sliced apples. I've also learned to place a few of the apple slices on the bottom of the bundt pan first so when you tip it over, you get the nice chunks at the top.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:54 PM) : 

In what world is 6 Granny Smith apples equal to 11/4 pounds? You'd be lucky to get 4.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites