Thursday, August 16, 2007

Two Years Strong and Going

I'm a few days late celebrating the two year anniversary of the launch of my beloved blog. Okay, six days to be exact, but much better late than never right? I'm kind of sad that life is often so busy and rushed that milestone dates often slip my mind until after the fact. But I suppose a blog anniversary isn't quite the milestone that a wedding anniversary or a loved one's birthday is, so this isn't quite a tragedy.

But, I digress. What better way to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or other special event than with cupcakes? Devils food cupcakes with chocolate coffee buttercream..I made these cupcakes for the first time last year as part of an article for A Nice Cuppa. The recipe comes from the book 500 Cupcakes. The book lives up to the name, but to my disappointment, most of those 500 cupcake recipes are slight, sometimes very slight, variations on a basic recipes.

After hitting the two year mark with my blog it makes me wonder what lies ahead. I hope that my blog will be here for many years to come, that my skills in the kitchen will continue to grow and grow. That I will be able to build party planning and catering business into everything I dream of. Only time will tell, but you my dear readers, I thank for the last two years with me, even during the slow times when it seemed that I may have disappeared.

Devils Food Cupcakes with Chocolate Coffee Buttercream


Devils Food Cupcakes

2 c self rising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup brown sugar
2 sticks butter, softened
2 eggs seperated
3 1/2 oz semisweet choc, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 18 medium size muffin cups with paper liners. Sift flour & baking powder together in medium bowl, set aside. In bowl of mixer, cream together sugar and butter. Add egg yolks, beat well. Add melted chocolate & vanilla, mixing well. Add flour & milk alternately, beating well with each addition. Beat egg whites in medium bowl until soft peaks form and gently fold into batter.

Spoon batter into cups filling 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove pans from oven & cool 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan & cool on rack.

Chocolate Coffee Buttercream

1 stick butter, softened
1 tbsp milk
3 1/2 oz semisweet choc, melted
1 tsp vanilla
2 c confectioners sugar, sifted
1 tsp hot coffee + 2 tbsp instant coffee granules

Beat in milk until smooth. Stir in melted chocolate & vanilla. Beat in confectioners sugar until thick and creamy. Stir in cooled coffee mixture. Spread over cupcakes. Store unfrosted in airtight container for up to 2 days or freeze up to 3 months.

The original frosting recipe called for 3/4 c confectioners sugar, but the consistancy seemed a bit thin, and honestly I like a generous amount of frosting on my cupcakes. The cupcakes themselves were pretty good, but not as moist and dense and I like. And considering that I had to seperate the eggs, beat the egg whites then fold them in, I think next time I would opt to use another cupcake recipe.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Comments on "Two Years Strong and Going"

 

Blogger Almost Vegetarian said ... (1:20 PM) : 

You said "chocolate coffee buttercream" and I became yours. I've been looking for something sweet, something light, something coffeeish to make, and these cupcakes have got to be it.

Cheers!

 

Blogger Cate said ... (10:03 PM) : 

Happy Blogiversary, Jaay!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:44 PM) : 

congratulations on 2 years m' girl! :) I hope you are doing well. I'm so glad to see you back on flickr and on this blog again. I've missed you lots.

 

Blogger Valentina said ... (3:37 PM) : 

Congratulations on your blog!! May we celebrate many more anniversaries.

 

Blogger Patricia Scarpin said ... (11:10 AM) : 

These cupcakes look delicious!

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (3:06 AM) : 

Happy 2 year blog anniversary!

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites