Tuesday, October 16, 2007

It's a boy!

After months of uber lovin and sometimes total chaos I think it's about time I share with you, my blogging buddies, the newest adventure in my life...

His name is Duncan, and although he's now more than three times the size he was in this photo, I look at his precious face everyday and remember him just as he was the day we brought him home, an innocent little ball of fur.

My entire life I've always, and I mean always had dogs. But I've never had a big dog, and I've always wanted a Labrador. I really fell in love with them this past winter during my two month long hospital stay. One of the things that helped me through those many long days were the therapy dogs, several of which were Retrievers, which occassionally came by my room for a visit, along with that, the thoughts of one day finally returning home to my two dogs. Upon returning home and slowly getting back on my feet, eventhough I was reunited with Sammy and Stumpy who I love more than I can even explain, my life still seemed to lack something, and as I tried to search and figure out what that was my thoughts always went back to those visits with the therapy dogs in the hospital. I knew I needed a Lab. And that's where Duncan came in.

After much searching we found him about a week after he was born. I held him before he was even able to open his eyes, but I knew I couldn't let him go, I was in love. Because he was so young, it was over a month before we could finally bring him home to join the family. Finally, he's here now, and I couldn't be happier. Duncan may have four legs and be covered in fur, but yanno what? He's my son and there is no doubt I'm his Momma. He's so smart, curious and full of energy. Sometimes he's almost more than I can handle, and I get so frustrated I want to either scream or cry, but that's how motherhood goes right? And can I just say, the boy's got good taste in shoes!!

Duncan - 8 weeks

Simple yet satisfying

Snuggled up with my Crocs

Dunky Monkey


Duncan - 8 weeks


I figured since this is a food blog, while I'm being a doting mother I would share with the dog owners out there an easy treat for your fur-covered little ones.

Good Doggy Dog Biscuits


Good Dog Cookies

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cubes beef bouillon
3/4 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheet.

Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water and allow to cool.

Combine flour, dry milk, egg, oil, beef broth and brown sugar. Mix well and knead dough for 1 minute.

On a floured surface, roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out bones and place on cookie sheet.

Bake for 30 minutes and allow to cool.

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "It's a boy!"

 

Blogger Katie said ... (1:41 AM) : 

He's just adorable!

 

Blogger Peabody said ... (2:49 AM) : 

Oh my, how cute is that? What a loveable addition to your family.

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (9:29 AM) : 

What a cutie!! Being a dog owner myself, I know what you mean about him being part of your family.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:32 PM) : 

I have two labs at home and those pictures remind me me of when they were puppies.... they are so cute!
And the dog treats sound great.

www.chocolateshavings.ca

 

Blogger Curt McAdams said ... (1:32 PM) : 

Jaay,

I have a soft spot for labs... The Best Dog in the World left me last year around this time, and I miss him as much now as I did last year, I think.

I have to thank you again for the chocolate chip cookie recipe you posted last year on justbaking.net. I posted about them recently, and they're hugely successful. They're by far my favorite cookies still.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (6:47 PM) : 

oh my goodness what a cutie, i have a almost 2 year old lab and she is so cute but trouble!! i would still get another one in a second if my husband said yes, have lots and lots of fun with little Duncan

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:56 AM) : 

Congratulations on the newest addition to your family! He looks like a sweetheart, and I'm sure he'll grow to be the perfect kitchen (and life) companion :D

 

Blogger marias23 said ... (5:03 PM) : 

What a bundle of pure joy! :)

I wish I could have a puppy too... Damn anti-pet apartment managemet!

 

Blogger ChefSara said ... (3:00 PM) : 

He's beautiful! Our dog has ambitions of being a therapy dog (or shall I say, I have ambitions for her to be a therapy dog) and stories like yours demonstrate why :-) And for another good dog treat, one of my first blog posts was a recipe for doggie frozen yogurt!

 

Blogger Judy said ... (8:15 PM) : 

He is so adorable! I plan to make the treats for my own poochie. I even have a dog bone cookie cutter I can finally use.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites