Friday, September 14, 2007

Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?

Double Chocolate Birthday Cake


"You can't have your cake and eat it too."


I understand the saying, and yeah I've experienced it plenty of times, like most people. But as a baker? Nope, doesn't happen. Well, except for the occassional failed recipe. But usually I can have my cake and eat it too. Just not too much or I'll have an expanding waistline, which I do NOT want.

If you are a chocolate lover like me and looking for a great chocolate cake you might want to give my go-to chocolate cake recipe a try. I searched high and low for what would become my "tried and true" chocolate cake recipe and wouldn't you know it was under my nose all along? On the back of the Hershey's Dutch Proccessed Cocoa container I found euphoria in the form of cake.

Want the ultimate sinfully delicious cake? Definitely top the cake off with my "tried and true" chocolate frosting - Fantastic Double Fudge Frosting.

Double Chocolate Birthday Cake


Hershey's "Especially Dark" Chocolate Cake

2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. Hershey's Special Dark cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 c. milk
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. boiling water

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost.

Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Fantastic Double Fudge Frosting

1 1/4 c. sugar
1 c. heavy cream
5 (1 oz each) squares unsweetened chocolate
1 stick unsalted butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Bring sugar and heavy cream to boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring so that it doesn't boil over.

Remove pan from heat and add unsweetened chocolate, stir until completely dissolved. Add butter and stir until melted, then add vanilla, stir to combine. Refrigerate. When icing is cold, beat with an electric mixer or wooden spoon. Frost cake.

Frosts 1 2 layer cake or single layer medium size sheet cake.

*All credit goes to Ayun Halliday author of Dirty Sugar Cookies for original frosting recipe.

Oh, and if you're wondering if "Merfday" is some unusual little known holiday yet undiscovered by you, the answer is no. Well, sorta. I made the cake to celebrate my long-time friend Meredith's recent birthday. Together we're two very silly girls, always coming up with goofy nicknames for our friends and family, and for as long as I can remember we've all known her as Merf. Me? Well, I'll just leave y'all to wonder about my alias...

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Comments on "Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too?"

 

Blogger Fruity said ... (1:09 AM) : 

Can I have that cake and eat it too. I love chocolate and cheese cakes
Fruity

 

Blogger lampshade333 said ... (3:07 PM) : 

The frosting looks perfect! I don't know a chocolate lover who could resist. Really liking the recipes, if you ever wanna try some new recipes the blog http://www.lovemyphilly.com has plenty to try.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:21 AM) : 

I think your blog is great could I have your permission to repost a few of your posts, all post will have a link back to your site and will be fully attributed.

Thanks in advance

Alex

my email is alex at homelifeweekly.com


http://www.HomeLifeWeekly.com
Smart Tips for Smart Living

 

Blogger Thomas Andrew said ... (6:46 PM) : 

Wow...my grandmother just loves chocolate! She is going to be amazed when I surprise her with this sweet recipe!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:17 AM) : 

I have a birthday cake to make next weekend. They want chipolte Cinnamon Chocolate Cake. I'm going to use this recipe and just add my add-ins! Thanks

 

Blogger Chef Mom said ... (9:56 AM) : 

Yummy-licious! Although the cake sounds fabulous, I'm just gonna make me a big batch of that double fudge frosting and dive right in!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:19 AM) : 

HECK YES!!!!

This recipe is also my go-to chocolate cake recipe. I have also made cupcakes and mini-cupcakes and they've always turned out perfectly.

Try replacing the hot water with hot coffee for a tasty mocha treat.

 

Blogger Summer's Temptations said ... (2:33 PM) : 

This is also my chocolate cake recipe. I tried many before coming to this one. It is the BEST! Also it's super easy and no fail recipe. To make it even better make into cupcakes and insert ganache, top with icecream...(molton)mmmmmm the Very Best way to end a date night.....or start:)

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites