Saturday, November 03, 2007

Halloween, The Recap

With all three of my children covered in fur and having four legs there was no trick-or-treating for us this year. There was also sadly no dressing up simply because I never found just the perfect costumes for my boys, and believe me, I searched. There is also an on-going debate in our house as to whether putting clothing on a dog for any reason other than warmth is appropriate. I say there are certain circumstances where it is suitable, such as they just look to freakin adorable not to dress them up. The Big Bad Dad? He has his feet firmly planted in the belief that dressing up a dog for more than warmth is completely stupid and degrading. Psssh, whateva.

halloween cookies


So, we were sans costumes and opted not to pass out candy to trick-or-treaters. And before you even think it. NO. I'm not the Grinch who stole Halloween. Having the doorbell ring and opening the door every five seconds would be pure and total chaos in my house. We would have had to lock the kids in their rooms in an effort to keep them from licking the trick-or-treaters to death. And Duncan. Well, let's just say Duncan would have lovingly stolen candy from each and every child who rang our doorbell.

jack-o-lantern cupcakes


I had to get in on the holiday somehow though, and ever being the baker I use every occassion possible to whip up something sweet. I made a batch of chocolate cupcakes with buttercream, and some sugar cookies decorated with royal icing. All of which were old standby recipes, no experiments, but as my Big, Bad Dad says, sometimes ya just gotta leave well enough alone. So that I did. My weeks have been busy, looking back, I can never seem to remember with what, but nonetheless all my projects seem to leave me short on time lately, the cookies and the cupcakes included so they didn't turn out to be my most adorable or my most creative. But they tasted great and still received high praises.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Comments on "Halloween, The Recap"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:09 AM) : 

I don't get it. You didn't hand out candy to kids on Halloween because that'd mean putting your dogs in the bedroom for a few hours?

Tis the season to be jolly.

 

Blogger Culinarily Obsessed said ... (11:39 AM) : 

Sam,

You're right - Tis the season to be jolly. But everytime the doorbell rings my boys bark, and I just don't feel right torturing them. Your kids should always come first right? Mine do.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites