Monday, November 26, 2007

A Daring Baker I Am!

So I've seen this cute little logo on lots of blogs for months now and always wondered what it was. Turns out there's this really cool group called the Daring Bakers. And now I'm one too! I've completed my first DB challenge and really enjoyed it. The assigned recipe for November was potato bread. I've baked a few loaves of yeast bread here and there, but I've got minimal experience especially when it comes to the whole kneading by hand thing. I find the thought of kneading by hand to be the most intimidating part of bread baking. I always worry that I won't have enough flour, or I'll have too much and I won't knead enough, or I'll knead too much and the bread will be tough. Well I decided to suck it up and just give it a try.

focaccia potato bread


The bread was good, but I didn't love it. Maybe that was due to my lack of experience or maybe I would just prefer a different type of bread? Your guess is as good as mine. I chose to make a standard loaf of "sandwich bread" and a loaf of focaccia, and I was most pleased with the focaccia.

potato bread


I'm open to any tips or suggestions you experienced bread bakers have. Stay tuned for next month's Daring Baker challenge!

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "A Daring Baker I Am!"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:56 PM) : 

congrats on completing you first challenge welcome to DBs and good job they look good

 

Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said ... (11:59 PM) : 

You got beautiful focaccia and lovely loaf. Most focaccia wants maybe a little extra salt.
And I do wish we could all get together and compare taste and not just photos but I'm thinking our desires exceed the technology! but it would be fun.
Congratulations & glad you're with us.

 

Blogger glamah16 said ... (11:59 PM) : 

Your breads look good. I prefer the foccacia or smaller rolls as well. This bread can transform itself to so many difrrent styles and tastes.Kind of like tofu.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:23 AM) : 

nice job..the loaf really looks great.

 

Blogger Katie said ... (1:41 AM) : 

COngratulations on your first challange. Your bread looks wonderful

 

Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said ... (3:24 AM) : 

Well done! They look great!

Cheers,

Rosa

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:56 AM) : 

Congratulations on your first challenge!

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (2:19 PM) : 

They both look great! I didn't love the loaf, either. I don't think it was your bread making skills - the bread was a bit heavy for me. But the foccacia was delicious!

 

Blogger Julius said ... (3:31 PM) : 

I'm also inexperienced with bread making. My potato breads were best after they were toasted.

I love your focaccia and loaf. =)

Please feel free to see my tender potato bread here.

Julius from Occasional Baker

 

Blogger slush said ... (8:01 PM) : 

Im jealous of those who made the focaccia, they all look sooo good! I made loaves and rolls and loved them both. Great job!

 

Blogger Karen Baking Soda said ... (12:45 PM) : 

Maybe it just isn't your kind of bread. I think you did a good job on your first -difficult to many- challenge.

 

Blogger test it comm said ... (9:16 PM) : 

The focaccia looks good!

 

Blogger Chibog in Chief said ... (5:21 AM) : 

congrats! i wanted to join too!!not sure though if my baking skills are good enough..lovely focaccia you got here

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:02 AM) : 

Great first challenge! No tips here, I thought it was good but not good enough to repeat it with all the work it involved, not to mention the stickiness ;)

 

Blogger Dolores said ... (11:38 PM) : 

Welcome and congratulations! I'm glad you took the time to try this -- and to write about it -- even if you didn't love it.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites