My Profile

Recipe Index

Extra Tasty

Food Blog S'cool

Group Recipes

Recipes Live

Sticky Date

Taste Spotting

The Farm Chicks

What To Drink

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Whaddya Know Joe

Sloppy Joes


Growing up I loved Sloppy Joes. But what kid doesn't? The sweet, tangy, and sometimes extremely messy sandwiches were a rare treat around our house so when I did get to eat them, they were all the better. Since I'm the sometimes meal planner these days I try to sneak in much loved treats like Sloppy Joes. And, since I'm a big fan of searching out simple and highly rated recipes on Allrecipes I decided to skip the store-bought stuff and seek out a from-scratch recipe there when I got a recent craving.

As with most recipes on the site, there were several variations so I chose the one that sounded like it would suit me and the Big Bad Dad aka my Picky Eater best, which was Sloppy Joes II. I made slight changes to the recipe. After I got everything into the pan it just didn't seem to have enough juice for my liking, so I ended up using a total of 1 cup of ketchup and adding a half cup of water. We didn't really notice the flavor of the bell pepper, which was fine it didn't seem to be lacking because of it, but next time I'll either omit the pepper or make sure I just cut it into bigger chunks. These homemade Sloppy Joes were a little sweeter than the store-bought stuff, so if you think you might not be too keen on that I would suggest cutting back on the brown sugar a bit or adding a little extra mustard.

I always remember eating potato chips with Sloppy Joes growing up, and for some reason Ruffles stick out in my mind - don't ask because I really couldn't tell you why. Maybe I just prefer Ruffles to regular chips? Or not even Ruffles, Wavy Lays, yes, it's the Wavy Lays I prefer. But that's so beyond my point. I decided to take a healthier route but still wanted to serve some form of potato, so I seasoned and roasted some Russets.

MmmMmmm dinner was so good that night!

Sloppy Joes

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
1 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 cup water
salt & pepper to taste

In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.

Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar, and water; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Oven Roasted Potatoes

1 lb Russet potatoes, but into 1 inch cubes
Olive oil
seasoned salt to taste
sea salt to taste

Preheat oven to 425. Drizzle cubed potatoes with just enough oil to coat. Toast to coat evenly and place on non-stick baking sheet, sprinkle with salts and pepper.

Roast for 30-40 minutes or until tender and golden brown.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Comments on "Whaddya Know Joe"

 

Blogger giz said ... (12:56 PM) : 

When I see sloppy joes I think of a recent blogging event from the U.K. that asked people to think about North America and create something that they would associate with it. Several entries were sloppy joes - very cool.

 

Blogger tigerfish said ... (3:59 AM) : 

Give me one of that :P~~~
Just one big bite if you allow me.

 

Blogger Abby said ... (9:06 PM) : 

Long time no talk to!

My husband loves sloppy joes, but I'm not a fan, so we don't have them often. I haven't tried any with a sweet bite to them, however, and these days all I crave is sugar! I might have to give these a try.

And wavy lays are totally retro to me, too, for some reason.

 

Anonymous وصفات طبخ said ... (10:01 AM) : 

Good one

 

Blogger Best panini press said ... (4:34 AM) : 

You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here. pannini press

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites