Sunday, April 13, 2008

Slow Cookin' Goodness

So let's play a little catch up shall we? The economy sucks, so the job hunt has been on like crazy in my Culinarily Obsessed house. But the cooking continues, more than usual actually. Funny thing about having to watch your budget, keeps you from eating out as much, thus you're in the kitchen more. But hey, I'm not complaining, I get to try out new recipes, save money and eat healthier than I would have by going out.

One of those new recipes I tried a while back was a yummy pot roast recipe. For a long while, the use of the slow cooker was left to my Big Bad Dad aka Mr. Picky Eater. It's a simple appliance, but I never touched the thing, I was always worried I'd undercook or worse overcook something. I've started using the thing and I'm starting to like it. Another thing I like, no scratch that I LOVE is AllRecipes. It is definitely my go-to site when I'm searching for a recipe. A while back I spotted a slow cooker pot roast recipe that had about a bazillion rave reviews, so I figured I had to give it a shot, I mean how can a bazillion people be wrong about a recipe yanno?

awesome slow cooker pot roast dinner



Awesome Slow Cooker Pot Roast

2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
3/4 cup water
5 1/2 pounds bottom round roast

In a slow cooker, mix cream of mushroom soup, dry onion soup mix and water. Place pot roast in slow cooker and coat with soup mixture.

Cook on High setting for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low setting for 8 to 9 hours.

A lot of the review critiqued the "gravy" in the recipe which didn't turn out to be much of a gravy in my opinion. I served the pot roast alongside mashed potatoes, and the so-called gravy, which was flavorful was great mixed into the potatoes. It was hardly thick enough to be considered a gravy though, but hey I'm not complaining. Will this be a repeat for us? Oh yeah.

Labels: , , , , ,

Comments on "Slow Cookin' Goodness"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:04 AM) : 

This sounds great -- and a bonus of being economical, thanks!

 

Blogger Deborah said ... (1:17 PM) : 

I love a good pot roast! I cook mine in the slow cooker as well - I think it works perfectly. This recipe sounds tasty!

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites