My Profile

Recipe Index

Extra Tasty

Food Blog S'cool

Group Recipes

Recipes Live

Sticky Date

Taste Spotting

The Farm Chicks

What To Drink

Saturday, March 15, 2008

No Pudge Fudge Pie

I'm reaching waaaay into the archives with this recipe. It's one I definitely haven't made in a long time, so you won't find many vivid adjectives to desccribe this pie, but trust me it was GOOD! If you're a regular around here you know I've got a killer sweet tooth, and I'm a serious chocaholic. I don't experiment with the lower fat, more guiltless versions of recipes as much as I should, but you'll catch a few guiltless recipes around here from time to time. This yummy chocolate pie is one of those recipes.

I found this recipe for Low-Fat Chocolate Fudge Pie on the Cooking Light website. I keep the recipe as written, with one minor change - instead of whipped cream, I wanted to top the pie off with some delicious, fluffy meringue. I love whipped cream, but the meringue was absolutely the perfect touch.

Chocolate Fudge Pie

Chocolate Fudge Pie Part 3

Chocolate Fudge Pie YUM

Low-Fat Chocolate Fudge Pie

1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1/3 cup light-colored corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed*
1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa (optional)

*Substitute whipped topping for 1 recipe meringue (see recipe below)

Preheat oven to 350°.
Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Fold edges under; flute. Place pie plate in freezer until ready to use.

Combine brown sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, and flour in a large bowl. Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (milk through egg whites); stir with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to brown sugar mixture; stir until combined.

Pour mixture into crust. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until just set. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Cover; chill at least 4 hours. Spread whipped topping evenly over filling; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon cocoa, if desired. (Or top with prepared meringue.)

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

FAT 8.6g per slice

Meringue

3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup white sugar

In large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture forms stiff peaks.

To bake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.) Bake pie in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Comments on "No Pudge Fudge Pie"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:49 PM) : 

Oh that looks fantastic. And I think meringue was a better choice. I'm going to have to give this recipe a try. There's a few sweet tooths in my house as well.

 

Blogger Chibog in Chief said ... (3:35 AM) : 

this is exactly what i need a low fat good looking choco pie..i love it!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (8:30 PM) : 

Loving this recipe so much. I made it at my grandma’s house. The combination of recipes goes well with each other and the taste is certainly admirable. www.gourmandia.ca and www.coffeefashion .com also have interesting recipes that you’ll surely want to try!

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites