Friday, November 18, 2005

Hay, hay! It's Donna Hay

Time for another fun food blogging event!! This event is hosted by winosandfoodies and is centered around Donna Hay, the wonderful Australian domestic goddess, and her self frosting cupcakes. I absolutely LOVE her, so of course I was excited & jumped at the chance to participate in this event. She has a fabulous style. All her books & recipes are so elegantly simple, I just love that!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



So the idea of this event was that everyone participating follow the same basic recipe, either exactly how Donna Hay created it or add their own little twist to it. The recipe is featured in her book Modern Classics 2. The original calls for peanut butter as the "frosting", but as many bloggers before me have done I chose to use Nutella as my "frosting" and believe me I didn't go wrong with that decision. The cupcakes were delicious! I tried them out on my usual test group - the family, with the focus as usual on my niece & nephew. Not a crumb was intentionally left, but they are 3 & 6 years old, so a few crumbs ended up on the floor I'm sure..lol I sent the remainder of the cupcakes to school with my nephew the next day for his snack time and have been told they were a big hit, even with the teacher. I will definitely make these again, experimenting with different "frostings", I'm thinking I'll try apple butter next time. Maybe substitute brown sugar for some of the granulated sugar, maybe add some cinnamon. YUM-O! That would make a nice winter snack no?? I think yes!!



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



My only complaint, I think I got a little generous with the Nutella in a few of the cupcakes because I notices a few of them split & looked a tad bit hollow in the very center. I think the Nutella is to blame for that.



Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Recipe taken directly from Modern Classics 2.
Self-Frosting Cupcakes aka Nutella Cupcakes
(Originally known as Peanut Butter Cupcakes)

6 oz butter, softened
3/4 c. superfine sugar
3 eggs
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour, sifted
2 tsp. baking powder
Nutella (can substitute jam or peanut butter)

Preheat the oven to 324 F/160 C.

Place very soft butter, superfine sugar, eggs, sifted all purpose flour and baking powder in a bowl and mix, using electric beaters, until smooth.

Line 12 muffin tins with paper cases.

Spoon in the mixture and swirl 1 1/2 tsp Nutella (can also use jam or peanut butter) through each cake. Bake for 20 minutes.

Makes 12 standard size cupcakes.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Comments on "Hay, hay! It's Donna Hay"

 

Blogger Heather said ... (6:39 PM) : 

what is caster sugar?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:40 PM) : 

Heather...I just read recently what caster sugar is...is it confectioners or turbinado...I can't remember! Or maybe it's brown. Jaay?

These look great!

I love Donna's cookbooks too. Something about the way they're laid out and the fact that there's a picture of everything...

 

Blogger Ziz said ... (11:32 AM) : 

I'm glad yours turned out so well! I gotta say, mine were a read dud. It's the 21st today, and I still had like 8 or 9 that nobody ate. :( Sadness.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:23 PM) : 

Thanks for joining in Jaay. I love the NUtella version but apple butter sounds good too. Look out for my round up this weekend.

 

post a comment
Directory of Food/drink Blogs Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Top Sites